DSJackson

Hand Stitching: Thread?

Hi all, I'm curious as to where I might find threads for handstitching that aren't the standard "Tandy black/white/brown"? Also on this topic, what TYPE of thread should I be looking for? Suggestions on brand would be fantastic. It's fine if I have to wax the threads myself, no problem there.

This place is where I get mine http://campbell-bosworth.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=dd0c03d07c09021f3e2d4987195ad393&manufacturers_id=12&osCsid=dd0c03d07c09021f3e2d4987195ad393

If you look back in this section over the next couple of pages and see the topics I started there is all kinds of info in there.

I use the barbours and if I want it a different color just dip it in dye for a little while, pull it out (I use latex gloves) and squeeze it as you do then just hang it out to dry. Once it is dry I wax it and off I go to do the stitching.

If you are dying after sewing it takes the dye pretty well then also.

Hi all, I'm curious as to where I might find threads for handstitching that aren't the standard "Tandy black/white/brown"? Also on this topic, what TYPE of thread should I be looking for? Suggestions on brand would be fantastic. It's fine if I have to wax the threads myself, no problem there.

Click me

Here's a link to a site that sells what you are looking for. If you want an idea of the weight of the thread, order a sample card for a couple of dollars. This will show you all the colors and weights so you don't have any doubts.

Excellent thanks very much, these will be a good start.

Wanna add if you are thinking about waxing your own thread I would highly incourage it. Get some rosin and bees wax and make your mix up (there are threads about it in this section), its not too difficult. When you can prep your thread without wax allready on it, it makes for a far easier threading of the needle.

You can control how much wax you put on the thread and the rosin mix makes it almost sticky. The thread grips when you sew very well so it wants to stay set when you pull your stitch. Since I have started doing it this way I wont do it any other way unless I get a machine.

One of the nicest hand stitching threads comes from Tandy in really good colors:

My link