Django57

Skiver & Utility Knife ?

I'm thinking of investing in a knife for cutting leather and noticed on youtube a few professionals using these knives , being left handed i wondered if these are ambidextrous or would i need to buy a left handed one , i've posted a link to a guy using one or maybe two as one looks to be angled ? , i am confused with how he is using it as the chamfer seems to be on the wrong side for a right handed person .

Hi

The first knife is a skiving knife, and it is not intended for any other use than skiving. There is no law against using it for other purposes too. You need both a left and a right edged skiving knife (for skiving on the left and right side). Most would use their round knife for this, it has an edge on both sides; skives on both sides and is designed for a roller cut. Get your self a good round knife, thats the saddler's all purpose knife. I often use this style of knife for cutting around a pattern http://www.abbeyengl...GB/Default.aspx you can buy different styles of blades for it. handle £ 10,20 and blades http://www.abbeyengl...GB/Default.aspx £ 1, 056 each. Its called extension clicker knife, clicker knifes are used to cut out patterns.

On the picture you see some of my French Blanchard round knifes and one cornette knife. You must register to buy from Abbey (UK), they sell very nice saddler`s tools and have good prices. Her you can buy very fine professional French saddler's tools http://www.vergez-blanchard.fr/boutique/liste_rayons.cfm

I hope this helps you.

Tor

post-10237-0-36760600-1366040559_thumb.j

Edited by Trox

Thank you Trox for your advise

I have a round knife that I use for most of the skiving I need to do and I also have a cheese knife I sharpened to use for skiving

I just like the way he appears to have a good view of the cutting line with his hand raised up , but i have never used a round or head knife so i don't have anything to compare , at the moment i am using a Stanley Knife.

Stanleys are fine for straight pull cuts so long as you strop your blades (never need to buy another; will be sharper than new after 10 seconds' work). They can be used for limited skiving too. Round knives allow a lot more options though.

The handle on the stanleys seems to get in the way for skiving and they don't have the flex to make up for it.

I thought the first knife in that video was similar to my Japanese utility knife - edge is straight rather than angled. The japanese knife can be used for skiving as there is a bit of distance between the hand/le and edge to allow you a good angle.

The knife I usually use for skiving is made from a power hacksaw blade - again, slim so lets you get a good angle for skiving.

I've got a couple of round knives but don't have the practice to be proficient in their use......otherwise they can do nearly everything....

Cheers!

penguineer can i ask if you like your japanese utility knife ? as i have been looking at some on goodsjapan site and they make a left handed one, i don't particularly want it for skiving just cutting as the gentleman is using it in the video.

It's one of my most used tools - I have about three knives that I use depending on what needs to be done. It's generally a toss up between this knife and a snap-blade knife for general cutting, and it also gets a run at skiving every now and then. I reckon you can keep the Japanese knife sharper that the snap-offs, but sometimes I get lazy and the snap-blade gets used.

It's a bit less intimidating to use than a round kife - when you first pick those up it seems everything is either an edge or a point - and the straight edge is easier to sharpen. Like any knife - keep it sharp!

One of the things it doesn't do well is tight inside corners due to the blade width - I have a different knife for that.

Does that help?

Cheers!

Cheers that's answered my doubts about one of these knives , one more question if you don't mind what type of knife do you use for internal corners ? i think the second knife he uses is the one for corners but if you have a better idea i'm open to ideas.

Hi Django57,

I learned leather-work from Al Stohlmans many books, I had no other way to learn it. Now I am glad I did, because I learned it the right way from the start. No bad habits or wrong techniques that had to be dealt with later.

My advise to you is to do the same. You do not have to buy all his books, buy the one called " Leather-craft Tools *How to use them* How to sharpen them* " by Al Stohlman, the grand ol man of leather-craft. It describes all the tools, how to use and maintain them. Then buy your self a good round or head knife and practice how to use it on scraps, you will not regret it.

I have all kinds of skiving knifes and tools, but if I had to limit my self to one knife; I would choose one of my small round knifes.

On internal corners I use the tip of the round knife. One pattern one knife, you do not want to stop and change knife; then you will have unwanted notch in your pattern. Do not forget to buy or make your self a stropping board, every leather knife has to be polished after sharpening and prior to use.

Clicking knifes (like the second knife in your video), is used to cut outside a cardboard pattern. I also use this technique on thin leather. On thick leather I draw around the pattern with a awl (round clicking awl) and let my head knife follow the awl trace afterward.

I bet more than 90 % of our members use the head knife and love it.

Thats my two cents.

Tor

Cheers Trox your good advise has been taken onboard .

and you dont even have to spend a lot of money on a decent round knife as long as you know how to hone and maintain an edge

My round knife is one of those 10 dollar Abetta round knives from Amazon that would not cut chese until I put a scary sharp edge on it and I guarantee it is as sharp as any al stohlman or Osborne round knife

I always strop the blade before and after use to keep the edge sharp

I took me three years to come to the realization that you have to have good knives in order to perfect your leatherwork. Of course a good Stanley knife will get you so far, but you really do need a head knife and probably a couple of other knives.

I just purchased my first head knives, and some other knives, and right now I'm learning how to use them all and most importantly how to sharpen them. I can tell you that these knives will get a lot sharper than any stanley knife, and it really shows in your work. It was really a hurdle for me, but I'm so glad that I did.

So take Trox' advice. I always do.

I am a big fan of the round/head knife, you only have to look at the pinned subjects about the round knife under the tool section to know what a important tool it is.

I am a left hander to there is no bias with a round knife same which ever way you hold it. When you learn to use one you will wonder how i have i done with out it. Practise is the key + sharp and strop, any scrap leather you have just use for practise please be careful of your fingers.Not sure how many youtube clips there are but try and have a look better still if you know some working with leather ask them to teach you how to use one.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards jcuk

Thank you Simon, I too used a Stanley knife when I started with leather work. I fund out pretty quickly that the blade flexed to much and it was easy to do mistakes with it. Like Simon says good knifes is the most important leather tool of all. We might be on different levels in our leather work, but remember there have always been older guys there before us. Using their experience is what this forum is based on, so use it for what it is worth and learn it the right way from the start.

Good luck

Tor