This is a simple technique I use to trace patterns onto my moistened leather. Instead of tracing the patterns to trace paper 1st why not trace it directly onto the leather from the printed pattern. 1st place a piece of food wrap over the moistened leather to prevent the printout from getting wet. 2nd, tape the printout over the area you want to trace the pattern onto the leather. Watch the tutorial to see how I do this. Works perfectly every time and the trace looks really nice. Let me know if it helps you!

Edited by cicftaiwan

same way Peter Main taught me to trace my pattern...but if it gets the paper wet, the leather isn't ready yet

same way Peter Main taught me to trace my pattern...but if it gets the paper wet, the leather isn't ready yet

That's cool! I was wondering if others did it this way as well. I first learned how to trace and carve from the tandy videos, which teach to 1st trace onto trace paper then again onto leather.

That's cool! I was wondering if others did it this way as well. I first learned how to trace and carve from the tandy videos, which teach to 1st trace onto trace paper then again onto leather.

The photo copy method with saran wrap works awesome, one les time to trace your picture. I feel the reason Tandy teaches the race it twice method is because in the 1950s there were not copy machines available, so Al Stohlman did what was the best method for the day. At some point someone at Tandy will learn about copy machines and switch their teaching videos.

For small jobs, that works fine paper right on the leather, but I ran into paper warping issues on some of the larger tracings I've done, and that's where the film works better - it won't wander off on you during those long swoops.

Of course, the first time I used tracing film I damn near lost a finger to a papercut just getting the film out of the package.

Another thing I do is put wax paper on top of the pattern. And trace the pattern through this. Wax paper is very sturdy even though it wouldn't seem so. That way you don't tear your paper pattern while tracing it. I know other people use film or transparent file folders, etc but wax paper works best for me. Cheryl

Another thing I do is put wax paper on top of the pattern. And trace the pattern through this. Wax paper is very sturdy even though it wouldn't seem so. That way you don't tear your paper pattern while tracing it. I know other people use film or transparent file folders, etc but wax paper works best for me. Cheryl

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try.

You're welcome. Cheryl