brinyar

The best thing about Angelus dye...

The best thing about Angelus dye...is that there seems to be little to no buffing required to remove the excess dye. When I use Fiebings it seems to take forever to buff it enough to prevent any rub-off. On the downside, the light brown is a little too reddish for my tastes.... Anyway, here are a couple of holsters I have done with Angelus light brown and jet black. Any comments are welcome.

Scott

BG19IWB.jpg

IWB-K40.jpg

Who do you buy it from. I have done some looking but not real hard mind you.

I purchased it from Springfield Leather. I have also read that other people have got it at Turtlefeathers.net, or purchased direct from Angelus.

You have just answered one of my many problems ,a dye with good covering power.. If you looked at "six month`s in the woods" you will see the Nasty Bison Brown !! Now to see if they will ship to the UK! Or do you kind folk know of an importer..

Thanking You All Kindly

Paul

Holy Cheese Scott. Those are truly beautiful.

Bronson

Gorgeous Scott:-)

I have used the Angelus ever sinse I started with leather, I love the vividness in them. Have you tried to mix your own color? They mix great with each other and there is a reducer you can use too to make it less strong.

I don't know how much Angelus them selfes takes for the dye but other than them, Turtlefeathers.net has the best prices I have ever found and is super quick to send out.

Paul...

If you can get anyone to send to Europe, please tell me, I'm moving back to Sweden soon and my biggest headache is how to get "my dyes" over there.

Those are stunningly well-done, Scott! I suppose you used an Angelus finish as well. . . What was it and how do you apply it?

Thanks for sharing with us.

L'Bum

Fantastic work, Brinyar! The next time you order from Springfield Leather, buy a bottle of "Spice" and see if you don't like it better than the light brown.

I haven't mixed any different colors yet, but will throw some black into the light brown to see what I get. I do use the Angelus 600 acrylic finish. I usually dip everything, from dye to finish. Some of the posts about using an air brush have me interested in trying that method out, it will probably be awhile before I do that, though. Thanks for the tip on the Spice color, Boomstick, I'll order some sometime to try out.

I haven't mixed any different colors yet, but will throw some black into the light brown to see what I get. I do use the Angelus 600 acrylic finish. I usually dip everything, from dye to finish. Some of the posts about using an air brush have me interested in trying that method out, it will probably be awhile before I do that, though. Thanks for the tip on the Spice color, Boomstick, I'll order some sometime to try out.

I'm actually going to try the other way...from AB to dip.

Beautiful holsters

The best thing about Angelus dye...is that there seems to be little to no buffing required to remove the excess dye. When I use Fiebings it seems to take forever to buff it enough to prevent any rub-off. On the downside, the light brown is a little too reddish for my tastes.... Anyway, here are a couple of holsters I have done with Angelus light brown and jet black. Any comments are welcome.

Scott

BG19IWB.jpg

IWB-K40.jpg

really digging the holsters - great job

question - are the Glock and Kahr holsters sewed from the same pattern? looks like there's some extra leather on the Kahr.

I used Wickett & Craig 6/7 oz leather for both.

I'll probably always dip dye as a first step, but would like to try the air brush to even out and keep the color consistent. Mainly for browns.

All my patterns are different for every gun. I do try to maintain the same basic style for everything, though. I do a lot of experimenting just to see how different designs work out. The Kahr holster is the second time I've tried a closed muzzle design for the K40. I know some people don't like them, but so far I like the stability the extra length provides.

Thanks for all the comments.

Edited by brinyar

I like the stability that the extra length provides as well, but I also use a slot punch below where the muzzle will be so it is easier to clean and clear lint, dirt, etc.. 'Just something you might try if you think it will benefit you.

I dip the separate pieces before construction and then airbrush for a more even finish when doing browns, burgundy or saddle tan. It helps me with consistency on the lighter colors.

Beautiful holsters! I like the reddish color of your first holster. Well done!

I hope I can make one that nice some day.

Art

Scott,

I'm not a holster guy.....but I'm very impressed with your workmanship. The stitching is nearly perfect....all your lines are very clean and your edges look good. But what really stands out to me is the finish. I's a little different color than everybody elses and I prefer it. The dye and finish both are very even, and I like the reddish hue. Great job!

Bob

I've thought about punching a hole near the muzzle...but, I have to admit I don't like how it looks on some holsters. I might be bowing down to aesthetics more than I should on that.... I understand perfectly the logic of punching the slot to allow dirt and lent out easier. I will probably try it sometime.

I've thought about punching a hole near the muzzle...but, I have to admit I don't like how it looks on some holsters...

That's the great thing about IWB holsters; nobody's gonna see 'um!! :P

That's the great thing about IWB holsters; nobody's gonna see 'um!! :P

Good point!!! icon1.gif

Jeez now I had to go and order some angelus dyes. Ahh well Ive been wanting to for a while.

Very nice looking holsters. You have some great attention to detail and excellent coloring.

Paul...

If you can get anyone to send to Europe, please tell me, I'm moving back to Sweden soon and my biggest headache is how to get "my dyes" over there.

Hi Tina,

the guys from Angelus will ship their colors worldwide as far as I know. I mailed them last week and they told me, that they will get back to me with the extact conditions. But I will try to find some other company as well here in europe, if possible. So if you want I´ll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Marcel

Hi Tina,

the guys from Angelus will ship their colors worldwide as far as I know. I mailed them last week and they told me, that they will get back to me with the extact conditions. But I will try to find some other company as well here in europe, if possible. So if you want I´ll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Marcel

Hi Marcel and please do:-)

I "talked" to them last winter and they said that they were looking for an European supplier. I just love the product and hope I can continue using it, it's soooo helps making my stuff shine:-)

Edited by Tina

I finally got around to ordering some of these angelus dyes and must say moving from the regular feibings dye to this is a step in the right direction. I cant compare to the oil dye from feibing as I havnt tried those but must say these angelus dyes are very nice.

Tried the black and was amazed how easily it buffed out and seemed not to come off when wiped.

Tried the black and was amazed how easily it buffed out and seemed not to come off when wiped.

This mirrors my experience. The jet black goes on nice and even and there is little to no buffing required to clear the surface. They penetrate much deeper than Fiebings, for sure.

Ok,

You guys just made me spend some more money...I ordered about 6 or 7, 3oz bottles of dye from turtlefeathers... Tina, you did it again, I give up. :surrender: