JinxedDream

Where To Start?

As the typical broke university student, building a resource library is difficult. I have a very specific goal in mind, to build an Australian half-breed or stock fender saddle. I've read over all the other threads on books and DVDs. And I'm having trouble deciding which route to go. I know what my learning style is for the most part so I'd like some advice.

I'm definitely getting Ron Edward's book "Making a Stock Saddle." Now I'm trying to decide between the Al Stohlman books and Harry Adams' book and Bruce Cheany's DVD or Jeremiah Watts. I'm a bit leary of getting the DVDs because I have never ever sat through an entire movie, TV show, or anything else that came on a tape. I taught myself how to sew dresses from books. I also taught myself hoof-trimming and much of my riding skills also come from books. In all 3 I did have someone I could call when things got confusing. My dress designs have won me prizes, I've never had a horse go lame (actually I just finally got my latest to go barefoot after being told by the vet that that was never possible). I do have a good friend who does leathercraft, so again, not completely by myself. Would it be possible to learn what I need to know from books and the people around me?

Which set would you suggest? Do the Al Stohlman books include how to make the pattern? I know how to work with patterns and can figure out what goes where.

Thank you!

Jinxed,

I don't have the Watt or Cheany DVD's so I can't really say anything on them. I don't have the Harry Adams book but I have looked through it several times waiting for my wife to go through the SLC bead section (anyone who's been there knows...) and I do have the Stohlman books and have used them to build 2 saddles and I'm a little into my 3rd so I feel somewhat qualified to speak on them.

In my opinion you'd be alot better off with the Stohlman books since they go into far more depth and cover more ground. This certainly isn't meant to say the Adams book wouldn't be good to have, I hope to pick one up when I have an extra $100.

The Stohlman books do include how to make patterns although you'll have to be a little creative to get everything to apply to the half-breed you're looking to build.

I'm sure others will chime in and give you completely differant advice, some of it will probably be much better than mine.

Good luck and have fun,

Josh

Jinxed,

I have the Stohlman books as well and think they are really good. I'm wanting to build my first saddle so I've been making the patterns from the books. They are VERY detailed. I prefer books over video because it is so

easy to pick the book up and read, ponder, and re-read. They only video I have seen is the one from Dusty Johnson. It is OK and at least l could see some of the techniques used in builder a saddle.

I also would like to build a half-breed saddle at some point and have been looking at places to get the trees. Here is a link to a tree maker in Australia. The tree looks great and has the aussie stirrup attachment. Check it out.

http://www.symmetrytrees.com

Tom

Thank you both. I will then definitely get the Al Stohlman books. I'm fine with patterns, I re-designed a lot of patterns for my dresses, so I'm not too concerned in that aspect.

Keplerts, thanks so much for that tree link! I really like it. I have been looking at the LaPorte trees (http://www.literidetree.com/Saddle_Trees.html) because I like the cable rigging but those trees are also nice. I ride in a half-breed right now and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm not so sure about the stirrup bar, I find it places my leg in an awkward position. But it looks like that bar might be better placed.

Bob Wattus also makes trees, custom. Kent Saddlery uses them. And there's someone in the USA that has a connection to that maker. I'd love to know what tree is used by Blue Creek Custom Saddles.