I would like to know/see how you all form and sew pouches. There are a lot of knife cases, extra clip holders, smart phone cases that look great. For example, mkleathers has some pouches that look terrific- http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=31546

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

I've searched and searched the tuts on here. I do have all 3 volumes on my buy list.

I've searched and searched the tuts on here. I do have all 3 volumes on my buy list.

Or, you could just ask :D. I've posted a small tutorial on pouches http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=31601. It doesnt cover the actual forming, but I can give you few pointers.

1. Wet the leather. How long ? Depends on the thickness. I usualy soak it for 10-30 sec. Then, leave it alone ! Dont try to form it right affter you take it from the water, let it dry a bit. I wait unill its starts to gain its "dry colour" back.

2. You have to find something to form it onto. It depends on what item you are making the pouch for. If its a regular shape like zippo you can use that if not, you need to find something with simillar shape. Picece of wood with 90 degree edges for example. Some people even use molds to form pouches.

3. Put the leather on the item/form and start forming by stretching the leather onto it. I use my fingers (nails cut short!). You can use a profesional modeler or a tea spoon to finnish the edges. It might take some time, just keep going till you see that the laether keeps its shape.

Again, keep in mind that to wet leather will go back to its previous shape fast. So, form it, let it dry a bit form it again and so on. Its all in the practice. Start with something easy anf fairly flat like zippo or a old phone just to get the idea and see how leather behaves.

I'll try to tak some pics with my next forming and post here.

Hope it helps a bit.

Good luck

Mat.

Or, you could just ask :D. I've posted a small tutorial on pouches http://leatherworker...howtopic=31601. It doesnt cover the actual forming, but I can give you few pointers.

1. Wet the leather. How long ? Depends on the thickness. I usualy soak it for 10-30 sec. Then, leave it alone ! Dont try to form it right affter you take it from the water, let it dry a bit. I wait unill its starts to gain its "dry colour" back.

2. You have to find something to form it onto. It depends on what item you are making the pouch for. If its a regular shape like zippo you can use that if not, you need to find something with simillar shape. Picece of wood with 90 degree edges for example. Some people even use molds to form pouches.

3. Put the leather on the item/form and start forming by stretching the leather onto it. I use my fingers (nails cut short!). You can use a profesional modeler or a tea spoon to finnish the edges. It might take some time, just keep going till you see that the laether keeps its shape.

Again, keep in mind that to wet leather will go back to its previous shape fast. So, form it, let it dry a bit form it again and so on. Its all in the practice. Start with something easy anf fairly flat like zippo or a old phone just to get the idea and see how leather behaves.

I'll try to tak some pics with my next forming and post here.

Hope it helps a bit.

Good luck

Mat.

Thanks. I was going to ask, but didn't want to hijack your other thread. I've got a piece of wood that I cut to model most of the smart phones, and use that to try and form/mould my leather. The pictures would be great. I've seen presses and heard of people using vaccuum sealing, I was just curious how you did it.

So, we take a piece of leather, wet it, wait a bit and start fforming.

54114015.jpg

43671550.jpg

Work around the corners stetching both sides at the same time.

46151677.jpg

Make breaks between forming to let it dry a bit. You can see the egdes get slightly brighter as it dries. Use modelling tool to even the sides, edges etc.

76315866.jpg

Thanks mkleathers. Just what I was looking for.