Sign in to follow this  
rdb

guitar strap reminder lesson

This lesson, I have learned before. I haven't neeeded to remember in a very long time, as I place most of my trust in a handshake. My word is good, and until proven otherwise, so is yours.

A fellow contacted me, and wanted a guitar strap with a buckle, and a design. We worked up what it was exactly he wanted, design, shape, length, etc through a series of emails. I showed him pictures all along the way through creation. His excitement was infectious.

We agreed on a price of $80, plus shipping. ($80 shipping using UPS...or $25 using USPS...guess which one we agreed upon?) He asked for Initials, and I threw those in.

I figured a total of 4 hours at $15, plus $10 material, since I'm not in it for the money so much, as rebuilding my skills. Actual time ended up around 6 hrs, but what the hell.

At completion, I sent him a photo, and a Paypal request for payment. He backed out completely, even while he was delighted with the strap. I was played the whole way, for whatever reason.

Lessons I already knew, but being the "free spirit" kinda guy I am:

1. I have ALWAYS asked for a deposit, but in my own excitement to be back working with leather, I let it ride, based on his enthusiam, and where the contact came from.

2. Never put Initials on something you haven't been paid for.

In the end I have adjusted to the situation. My whole point in the project was a chance to practice the carving of celtic knots. This I did get to do, so, that's okay. My carving is a very very very long way from any of the saddlers skills, or some of the master craftsman here in the forum, but I think it's getting better, so, I'll take that.

The overall look of the strap. I think I achieved, but finding someone with the initials will be impossible I guess. I'll hang the strap in the shop as a reminder, that ART is a business too!

Thanks. Good Idea! I wonder if Chris Rock plays....lol

rdb,

That's a great looking guitar strap, and a good carving job. There is the outside chance that somebody with the same initials will show up, but if not, you can always be glad you didn't build him a saddle!

Mike

"you can always be glad you didn't build him a saddle!"

Thanx Mike...You made me laugh real hard!

sORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THAT, name, initals $$$ up front.

it was a small item, but i did have a great sample of a special

card case i once made. after 2 years found someone with the

same initals.

Another time i took an order over the phone from my wifes

friend's husband, a tooled belt with his Name on it. He measured

the old belt precisley, HOW IN THE H....L did i know that other

folks spell 'JOHN'...............'JON'..... THAT HAS NEVER HAPPEND

AGAIN....

"THAT HAS NEVER HAPPEND AGAIN...."

That's the idea, it's okay to make a mistake, just don't make the same one twice!

Too bad Leather work doesn't have spell check....lol

Looks good, but it is a good idea to get half up front. I've had some people not pay for things a couple of times but I believe that is their problem, not mine. I kept my end of the deal, they did not, so I sleep pretty well at night.

Wow - very nice! As a braider I *love* seeing knots on things. It's nice and wide too so it would support the weight of the guitar really well.

That would really get to me, being treated like that, and I might even sit down and start looking at those initials real creatively and try and make them into "something" else - maybe not initials just something.

The bulk of my work is custom and I DO NOT start until I am paid IN FULL. PERIOD. I started out doing that 50% down thing, but then you end up waiting on that second half... and waiting... and waiting... I said forget that! And you know what - people always pay me up front and don't even grumble. Hey, I don't wait around to do their work, they should not wait around to pay me, and they are getting a custom item just like they want.

And in your case, a really nice custom item!

nice strap ya made, too bad it was for an asshole customer...

but i have a fix for you: payment in advance - ONLY.

I dont haggle, I dont noodle around and I wont tolerate that from my

customers, or wannabe customers either for that matter

steveb

Tell him you're going to post his name for the rest of us. . . . . . :police:

UPDATE:

I wish I could edit the main diary with this update, but this will have to do.

Unbelievably, and out of the blue, the customer has come back, and deposited into Paypal. It's a sale!

Sort of restores my faith in the old hippy ways of doing business...but it was not a nice feeling for awhile.

So...did we learn anything?

If I had been strict about half down, or more, could I have convinced an International customer to send money to an unknown leatherworker in the States?

The email pix I sent him during the process, just whetted his appetite, it looks like, and convinced him of the sale. Why he went away for awhile, I'll never now, or understand......

But I'm not sure I want to go through this again.....lol.

Thanks everyone for the commiseration!

Or, maybe he is a reader of this forum and decided to do the right thing! :unsure:

Huh - why in the world would you want to edit your first post?

Because on a whim this knucklehead who absolutely left you holding the bag

has returned with cash in hand to get what he should have just paid for outright after the deal was agreed to?

nah, he's a dog, maybe a dog with guilt pangs, or a

busted guitar strap, maybe even a nice guy dog - but he is a dog nonetheless..

your lucky you got your money - and just think of it, you got a free lesson

in terms of how to handle terms of payment for goods and services - and it wasnt even hard won

you should go out and buy yourself a lottery ticket - your a winner! :)

steveb

I was never really mad at the customer.

As a final result, he paid, and he is happy.

I was more mad at myself for doing things I knew better than doing.

On one hand I agree with all the posters here, as to the proper way to do business. You, as I, have experienced these things before, and have a right to be angry, tighten business practices, and sharpen our acumen.

On the other hand, my head sometimes clicks back to the sixties, and remembers how powerful a little faith in humankind can be.

OWWW! My head hurts....lol

Even the best people, with the best of intentions, can get sidelined so that they forget or just do not pay. They don't mean to! That's just how life goes sometimes. They might move, get a divorce, have their toe run over by a bus etc.

I've had many overseas customers, and I've had no problem convincing them to send me money. In fact if they want my product that is the only way to get it, capitalist pig that I am! B) On the other hand I never have to be upset with my customers. Our relations are always sweetness and light.

I'm really glad this worked out for you! That is a beautiful strap and the guy would have to some kind of nutjob not to want it.