mashley

Thread Question

Hi!!

Can someone tell me what "type" of thread is commonly used for aesthetics on cuff/belts...it usually contrasts the leather and is not for function/attaching,purely aesthetic???

I've seen some that even looks more like twine and some that is smoother?

Any help on either/both is appreciated.

Also, what is the Knot type most commonly used for this?

Thanks!

Ultimately, thread choice is personal preference. I use waxed polyester thread for handstitching pieces to one another. For decorative stitches, I like to use rayon embroidery thread. Cotton or linen threads look more traditional, but they lack strength. I don't knot the ends, I just double the last stitch and melt the end with a lighter and press it so it mushrooms to keep it from slipping back through the hole. (don't try this on cotton or linen thread) For natural threads I finish the stitch by doubling back a couple of stitches and cutting the end flush with the stitch.

Stitching edges of single layer belts helps keep the leather from stretching too much. Function is not always obvious. Sometimes new materials make old methods obsolete, but the method remains.

Are you referring to a method to secure the ends of the thread?