Sign in to follow this  
frunzoaie

What type of sewing machine should I buy?

Hello eveyone,

I'm new here so if this topic was already discussed here I apologise in advance. I need help figuering out what type of industrial machine should I buy. I need it to sew leather case covers for musical instruments and maybe leather guitar straps later on. I need a machine that I could adjust the speed as I am a beginner and can't sew fast just yet. Last year I bought a Janome Memory Craft 6600 P machine from a local shop. I was told it would work for what I needed but it didnt. The problem was that it was too weak so it didn't sew multiple layers of leather and I had to sell it.

To see pictures of the case covers I plan to make please go to www.ciprianignat.com

Any suggestions are very much appreciated as I don't want to make the same mistake as I did last year (can't really afford to).

Thank you,

Ciprian

Edited by frunzoaie

im not sure about you, but ive spent alot of $$ on various smaller machines only to find out the next project, the machine was too small.

i would get some material you plan on sewing and find a dealer that handles industial machines and go from there. you can try contacting some of the saddlers/chaps makers in your area and ask if they are willing to entertain your questions and to see if you can try their machine on your material.

whatever you do, make sure you get a machine large enough to handle what you want to do and maybe then some. i dont know how many times i got a machine with a 3/8 in lift and needed 1/2 or more the next time. you may not need it, but i always found myself need just a tad more on the next project. Throat depth is a factor too.

also, think about what size thread youre going to use on your projects since that can be a limiting factor.

if youre not familiar with sewing machine, you may want to find one with local support too. jic, you have any problems you cant handle.

good luck too.

I bought a model 5 from Neels Saddlery and LOVE It. It does everything I need it to do. It does not have a walking foot but it will sew through the toughest stuff.

I recently repaired a handle on a Mobility Harness for a disabled lady and her dog. It sewed through two layers of heavy leather (9oz) to encase a steel bar. It was all that would fit under the presser foot but it still did a fantastic job and the stitches didn't suffer in length.

I am very pleased with the machine and here is the best part. It didn't cost me 2500 dollars either. I got the table, motor (variable speed), machine for 1345.00 and that was including shipping. I am not sure they are still at this price but they are worth looking at.

+1 to getting more machine than you think you'll need. I definitely recommend a cylinder arm style machine, as they're more versatile.

There's a ton of info here on the different types of machines, so to help narrow it down I'll make these suggestions:

Artisan Toro 3000, and 4000 click here....Dave

Cobra Class 3 and 4 click here....Steve

Neels Saddlery/Cowboy click here....Ryan

Springfield Leather Co. click here.....sorry Kevin, the link to the sewing machines was hanging up....

There's a wide variety of machines that will sew leather like you want, including (but not limited to) Adler, Consew, Ferdco, Highlead, Juki, Tacsew, Typical....the list goes on. The general consensus is that the majority of the machines are made in China, with slight differences between them. The above links will take you to sewing machine distributors who know how to set up a sewing machine specifically for leather- speed reducer, speed limited DC motors, etc. Also, the distributors above offer "tech support" and they really know their stuff, and their support for the machines is one of the best reasons to purchase through them. They're listed alphabetically, not by any particular preference.

Appologies if I left anyone out, this is off the cuff.

Art, one of our moderators here, is a veritable sewing machine expert, so pay attention to his posts.

Hello:

Please give m a call and I would be glad to help you with machine selection.

Kindest Regards,

Ryan O. Neel

Neel's Saddldery and Harness

Cowboy Sewing Machines

(330) 692-1418

Just want to thank everyone of you for you help and sugestions.

:)

I forgot to mention that I can't afford to buy a brand new machine at this time and looking for a good used one. I saw this Consew 210 for $250 on Craigslist. Anyone knows anything about this type of machine?

Thanks

Edited by frunzoaie