I am wanting to try a biker wallet and wanting to know what oz of leather do you use

thanks

David

Hi David,

I would use at least 6-7 oz for a wallet of any type. Anything heavier would make it bulky. Don't be afraid to contact your local leather dealer or a company like Springfield leather, they'll give you some ideas also.

Happy tooling

Tim

Hi... Usually, a biker wallet that you buy would be made from 4-5 oz, or close to it... Of course, it's really what you or your customer wants that would make the final choice. :)

Kevin

Hi David,

I would use at least 6-7 oz for a wallet of any type. Anything heavier would make it bulky. Don't be afraid to contact your local leather dealer or a company like Springfield leather, they'll give you some ideas also.

Happy tooling

Tim

I hope it's cool to jump into older posts, but I have a similar question about biker wallets. The one I'm copying has 6 layers with a zippered pocket inside, unlined with a flap/snap closer. I called Tandy and it was suggested to use 4-6oz outside and 2-3 inside using the veg tan kip they have on sale right now. I'd like to get a second opinion on the advice I got and any suggestions for other leather suppliers that might be better. I'm not far from Tandy and I think I'll bring the wallet in to see what they'll show me, but I'd like to have some info to mix with theirs.

Thanks,

Joe

3-4 oz veg tan is thick enough to tool and will last a very long time. It also helps make the wallet not feel like you are sitting on a brick, one of the common complaints with home made wallets. I would really have to hate someone to use 6 oz leather for a wallet.

I use pig as liner material. Not sure what it measures out to, but the stuff is thin and often on sale at Tandy.

Aaron

3-4 oz veg tan is thick enough to tool and will last a very long time. It also helps make the wallet not feel like you are sitting on a brick, one of the common complaints with home made wallets. I would really have to hate someone to use 6 oz leather for a wallet.

I use pig as liner material. Not sure what it measures out to, but the stuff is thin and often on sale at Tandy.

Aaron

Hi AAron,

I ended up taking a ride to tandy and bought a 2.5-3 oz. vegtan kip skin. I'm still a little worried about it ending up too bulky with 6 layers but I'm going with it. I wish I had thought to ask about the pig, but for some reason I didn't think they carried vegtan pig. I almost went with some soft chrome tan but it seemed like it wouldn't be so good for the pockets inside and I have no idea how to deal with edges on that stuff. So, off I go to learn a new lesson and hope for the best.

Thanks for the reply,

joe

Ive only made a couple of wallets and they arent biker wallets but they are trifold wallets that went to myself and another biker so maybe that qualifies.

Anyways I made it out of 3-4oz for the main body, lined the main billfold portion with pigskin liner, and used the vegtan calf that tandy sells for the card slots and such, the calf probably came in at 2oz.

Ive had mine for about 4 months and the guy I sold one to about the same, his I tooled a nice harley looking badge with the big wings on it and it still looks new just formed more to him. I think that these weight leathers will last a good long time riding in someones pocket.

Ive only made a couple of wallets and they arent biker wallets but they are trifold wallets that went to myself and another biker so maybe that qualifies.

Anyways I made it out of 3-4oz for the main body, lined the main billfold portion with pigskin liner, and used the vegtan calf that tandy sells for the card slots and such, the calf probably came in at 2oz.

Ive had mine for about 4 months and the guy I sold one to about the same, his I tooled a nice harley looking badge with the big wings on it and it still looks new just formed more to him. I think that these weight leathers will last a good long time riding in someones pocket.

MADMAX22,

It helps a lot to hear what others have done and what worked for them. I wish I had the money to pick up a side in every size but I don't and have to guess and by golly until I get more experience. It sounds like your wallets folded would be close to what I'm trying to do, so I might just get lucky.

Thanks,

joe

Give it a shot, worst that could happen is it doesnt work out. Heck I made three wallets before I came up with this one that I am happy with. I wish I had money for all that extra leather as well lol.

I didnt get any pictures of the one I made with the tooling but heres mine, its just a simple one.

wallet1.jpg

wallet2.jpg

wallet 3.jpg

post-5781-125356056865_thumb.jpg

post-5781-125356058395_thumb.jpg

post-5781-125356059516_thumb.jpg

Nice wallet MADMAX22. I'm definately gonna look for pig on the next one. Got my vinagroon out and I'm jumping in.