Ho to all!!

First of all, pardon me for my bad english. =D

I am quite a newbie in leathetworking, so pardon me even mmy questions are stupid/silly...

I am planning to make a cover for my ringed notebook with leather. I want to carve some white lilies on the front cover, and then paint them with these colors: black for the background (I already have black alcohol dye), green for leaves (I have a bottle of green Eco-Flo) and white for the lilies. My wuestion is: how do I paint leather white?? Is there a white dye or something similar?? Or must I use a different techniwue/color??

I tried googoling a little bit, and I found there is a white Eco-Flo dye, this one http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/leather-dye/2602-08.aspx...is it a good choice or not??

Thanks in advance for your help!!

cova color will work for small to moderate areas, just remimber that is an acrylic. and white will take multiple coats, so go easy and build up. use extra coats of resolene, or (yes i am going ot say it everyone, lol) super shene or satin shene.

yeah, you're not going to have any luck with white DYE. There are a couple of brands of dye out there that say they're white, but they're not. I would stick with a white leather acrylic for now since you're just starting. There are lots of options out there, but that will be the easiest for you to use while you're just beginning. I haven't used the Cova colors. I do know that Angelus is highly recommended for their leather dyes and they should work quite well for you.

thanks a lot for your answers!

I had a look at Angelus' colors, found them even in Amazon (I'm form Italy, so I think oreìdering them from theri website might be expensive...

what is the difference between acrylic leather colors and normal acrylic ones (the ones used for painting, I mean)? I made some medieval shields painted with acrylics, they seem to me quite good...

found this topic googoling a bit...

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=35975

it made me unsìderstand lots of things, but there is another question I found no answer: since I'm gonna using Angelus or other acrylic paint on a belt, will it crack with use or not? if so, is there a way to prevent it, or other ways to paint my belt?

A dye/paint that may be available in your area is Tarrago. They have an excellent white that covers very well. Angelus may also have outlets in Europe. Search their site and if you don't see a section of where to purchase, contact them and they can help.

Godd luck.

God Bless.

Ray

if tarrago uses a pigment dye then you need it use a rag or a cloth to apply it. if that is the case you might consider using a liquid latex rubber and paint it around the areas you are dyeing white to contain it. then you just peel the rubber off and continue with the rest of your dyeing after it dries. I would try this method on a scrap piece first to be safe. good luck.