I want to make a wide belt about 80mm (8 - 8.5 cm) but I do not have or want a buckly that wide. Any ideas how to narrow it to a "normal" width buckle?

I looked at just tapering but it looks wrong, anyone done that already?

I want to make a wide belt about 80mm (8 - 8.5 cm) but I do not have or want a buckly that wide. Any ideas how to narrow it to a "normal" width buckle?

I looked at just tapering but it looks wrong, anyone done that already?

This is something I did a couple of times on military 'stable' belts. The belts were about 3 - 3.5 inches wide (about 75 - 85 mm). The belts were made of webbing with the buckles (chape and billet parts made of leather) at the side so, when working in the stables with horses, the buckles were less likely to get caught on gear or damage the horses.

The solution was to have two small buckles and billets. I have also seen some wide weightlifter and/or biker belts made in a similar fashion.

I don't have any to photographs to show you but I found something similar on a website and I've attached that in case it's any use.

I can't remember where I saw this belt but I copied the picture as it was a design I liked and wish to produce something similar. If I have infringed anyone's copyright, registered design or whatever, I apologise immediately.

I feel the design idea gives loads of artistic options on leather colours, embellishments and furniture.

Double_buckle_belt.jpg

I suppose a Ranger style solution may also work.

Gary

post-636-1247653981_thumb.jpg

Another option is to make one in the "Ranger" style, which involves a narrower billet and buckle sewn onto the wider belt strap.

Dolphini....tapering a belt for a narrower buckle is a commonly accepted practice. Here's an example...

Bob

S_Savage_belt_08__b_L_signed.jpg

post-7682-1247706078_thumb.jpg

Edited by hidepounder

Thanks all for your feed back and ideas. They all look great now I will just have to make more than one.. :(:head_hurts_kr:

:evillaugh:

Tapering works just fine. I have several times done a 6" to 4" taper which was very well accepted on back support wide belts.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana: