novaroper

Rivet Size For Blevins

You need to use No. 9 size copper rivets with burrs, about 5/8 to 3/4 inches long, depending on the thickness of leather you are using.

Agree with Goldshot Ron, but I always use 1 inch rivets just to be sure I have enough stem. If you're going to buy copper rivets, keep in mind that 1 inch works for everything, but the shorter ones will be too short for many projects.

Edited by JAM

I agree with JAM and Ron on the rivet size and length although I don't use burrs when riveting on Blevins buckles. I just peen the rivet on buckle plate itself. You can get #9 copper rivets from most leather supply places (Tandy, Springfield Leather, Weaver, etc) and your local hardware store or feed store might also carry them. Look in the bolt section in the little pull out trays, that's where they usually are. A bulk box from Weaver will be much less money but if you only want to get 4 to 6 of them the hardware store might suit you better.

Good luck, Josh

One problem that I've experienced with the use of longer rivets and cutting them down to size is that the further that the burr is driven down, the more it expands the hole of the burr. Then, as you reach for your cutter to cut off the excess, the burr loosens up, and you may not get a good tight fit. So, you end up spending more time and effort than is necessary when setting the rivet.

If using Superior buckles or Farrel style buckles, the rivet is peened against the buckle itself; but, I always insert my Blevens between the stirrup leather and the fender pigtail so that a burr is needed. Also, one thing that I learned from one of the saddle pros (forgot who, so I can't give credit where credit is due) is to sew the two stirrup leather pieces together first, then insert the buckle between them and then rivet. It makes the whole piece look better, and creates a tighten fit.

PS...there are so many ways to skin a cat....poor cat.