Hoyt64

Punching Holes For Hand Stitching

Hello,

I am just getting started in leatherwork and I am making a knife sheath for my first project. I have punched the holes and handstitched the leather for the belt loop and it turned out well. My question is , what is the best way to punch the holes down the side of the sheath since it has a thick welt that will be between the 2 pieces of folded over leather to be stitched together. I have a punch that has 4 prongs on it but I don't think it is long enough to get all the way through the 2 pieces of leather and the welt. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello,

I am just getting started in leatherwork and I am making a knife sheath for my first project. I have punched the holes and handstitched the leather for the belt loop and it turned out well. My question is , what is the best way to punch the holes down the side of the sheath since it has a thick welt that will be between the 2 pieces of folded over leather to be stitched together. I have a punch that has 4 prongs on it but I don't think it is long enough to get all the way through the 2 pieces of leather and the welt. Any advice would be appreciated.

You'll have to use an awl. Most here will recommend a spade or diamond bladed awl, however I use a round one as it's the only one I have at present and it works. Others use a drill press or dremel to drill holes, for the most part I think that is discouraged.

Just make sure your awl is very sharp and polished.

Good Luck,

Kevin

A drill press or a drill with the smallest bit works nicely! Use a stitch wheel to get the distance you want.

For thick multi-layer pieces like this I use my drill press (to keep it straight) and for a bit I use a large sewing machine needle. Tandy sells 3 sizes of large needles, I use the middle size most of the time, depending on the thread I am using.

Aaron

Take the awl chuck out of the wooden handle and use in a drill press as Aaron suggests. You get the best of two worlds, straight holes and being punched with a diamond awl at the proper angle.

Terry

Edited by terrymac

A old saddle builder showed me the best way [ for me anyway] a dremel with a very small bit i use a stitch wheel or old fork [shout out twinoaks lol] to mark my holes and zip zip in no time you have perfect holes hope this helps. Happy trails

I used a drill press for mine, but I turned the 1/16 bit upside down and pointed it with a grinding stone. I chuck it, turn the drill press on and drill the holes. With the bit upside down, it doesn't remove any leather.

Well, I marked the holes and used my drill press, the holes came out good, and the stitching turned out good as well. Next time I will try the bit turned upside down and sharpened method. I used the 2 needle method of stitching and my only problem was every once in a while I would stab the thread while pushing the 2nd needle through the hole. From what I read this happens somewhat often. I ordered some egg eye harness needles with a blunt tip and hopefully that will help some. Thanks again for the advice, I am looking forward to working on my next knife sheath .

I used the 2 needle method of stitching and my only problem was every once in a while I would stab the thread while pushing the 2nd needle through the hole. From what I read this happens somewhat often. I ordered some egg eye harness needles with a blunt tip and hopefully that will help some. Thanks again for the advice, I am looking forward to working on my next knife sheath .

When you have the second needle halfway thru, pull the first thread back a little. If you've stuck the thread it will show up and it can be corrected easily.

When you have the second needle halfway thru, pull the first thread back a little. If you've stuck the thread it will show up and it can be corrected easily.

Or even easier - one needle half way in, second needle half way in, then use both threads to push needles a bit futher, then pickup each needle on the other side. no chance to stuck thread.

Edited by Suicide