bigorange

I Need To Build A Lacing Pony

any good ,plans or ideas !?

For lacing I usually glue up my edges, punch the holes, then just hold whatever project it is in my hands and lace it up in front of the TV. But, for a stitching pony, I just made some leather caps to fit over the jaws of my bench vice.

When I finally make one, it will probably end up like this one.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=43206&hl=%2Bstitching+%2Bpony

Edited by Cyberthrasher

A few months ago I made the one found on this link.

It includes some pics and a Bill of materials

Works like a charm.

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials/_stitchpony.html

This is what I clamp in my workmate and when I'm done stitching it gets put away, out of the way.

post-19342-0-53486600-1358192236_thumb.j

The problem that I found with the pony you referred to in the prior post is that the thread WILL get stuck on that tightening knob, trust me! I am working on some new designs. Good luck with your endeavors!

easiest way around that problem (with the tightening knob ) is to use a large spring clamp to hold the jaws shut (and its also easier to hold different sizes of work without the drilled hole/screw dictating maximum size of leather.

I made mine from two slats of wood with leather covered wooden jaw strips at one end and the other fixed to a small block which is also fixed to a horizontal slat. This sits under your knees and holds the pony in place while you stitch in front of the tv. I cut the slats to a comfortable working height for me - sit with a slat between your knees and decided where you would be happy to hold your arms up and mark it..simple!.. I based the whole thing on the photo of a pony on Tandys website, and took all of 30mins to make.

adam

Here's one I designed a few years ago that's really easy to make.

post-14053-0-56153200-1358291630_thumb.j post-14053-0-44076600-1358291671_thumb.j

post-14053-0-56153200-1358291630_thumb.j post-14053-0-44076600-1358291671_thumb.j

Oh yeah, i saw that one a few days ago and forgot all about it. That would actually be more my style since I try to do all my work at my bench and prefer my bar stool.

It doesn't get stuck on the wing nut because there's a leather strap over it when it's being used.

The problem that I found with the pony you referred to in the prior post is that the thread WILL get stuck on that tightening knob, trust me! I am working on some new designs. Good luck with your endeavors!

I think it looks great Kate, and i like the practicality of the long jaws, but it looks awkward to use because the leather is facing you rather than perpendicular to you.

I find its much quicker if you can use both hands to pass the needles through and more accurate because you can put equal pressure on both sides of the saddle stitch.

I saw a great looking clamp a few days ago - i'm going to have to try and make a version of this for myself...

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=44874&st=15 halfway down the page Nigel has attached a saddlers clamp to a log - looks fantastic!

adam

Well you have lots of choices . I have a sit on stitching horse nicely done . I have full sized plans and plenty of pictures if you have a intrest send me a email address . You cant attach a bunch of pictures here . So the balls in your court now and you have lots of choices and possibilties . Bill

Thanks Bill Pm sent !!!