Hilly

Dumb question: How do you get the dye onto the leather?

Does everyone use those little wool daubers to apply dye? What are the advantages/disadvantages to the daubers? I'm talking about a larger area, such as a notebook or photo album cover, and going a solid color...

Can I use one of those cheapy foam paint brushes and expect decent results? I don't want to ruin my project cuz I did something dumb...

I recommend using an airbrush. It is the only way I know of to get an even coating of dye on a large area.

I used to only use daubers - even on huge projects. For the Tandy Antique stains, I used a damp sponge. However, I recently got up the nerve to try what I've seen Jim Linnell do: use a scrap of sheeps wool, like Tandy sells in bags. Trim off the excess wool, and you're good to go. It works great and is less "streaky".

I used to only use daubers - even on huge projects. For the Tandy Antique stains, I used a damp sponge. However, I recently got up the nerve to try what I've seen Jim Linnell do: use a scrap of sheeps wool, like Tandy sells in bags. Trim off the excess wool, and you're good to go. It works great and is less "streaky".

Didn't know about the sheep wool trick. Will have to try that. How short should it be trimmed?

I also use it to apply Aussie Wax - that was the first thing I did with it. But when I saw Jim at a class using it to apply dyes, I thought I'd try it. You basically cut off all the excess, as much as you can, almost down to the skin level. Do you know the scraps I'm talking about, that they sell in bags full? I don't know as it's true sheeps wool, or synthetic, but I chop it into 1-2" squares and then cut off the excess wool from there.

Yup, I know what you're referring to. Even have some. Will definitely give it a try. Thanks, wildrose!

Let us know how it works for you. I was really anxious about "trying something new" but I figured if it worked for Jim it mustn't be bad :spoton:

Another idea to try is to take 3 or 4 cotton balls and put them in a cloth. Tie the cloth tightly around the cotton balls. this makes a little "pad". Apply your dye to the pad, dab off excess and then apply the pad to your work in circular motion. I like to start my circles before I touch the work to prevent excess soaking in one spot. The harder you rub, the more burnishing effect you get and you can apply as many coats as you think is necessary to acheive the color you want.

Good luck. (By the way, this is covered in Peter Main's book "The Main Technique of Coloring Leather".

Marlon

i always use sheep skin to apply dye on small projects that dont need the airbrush...i dont trim the wool

Does everyone use those little wool daubers to apply dye? What are the advantages/disadvantages to the daubers? I'm talking about a larger area, such as a notebook or photo album cover, and going a solid color...

Can I use one of those cheapy foam paint brushes and expect decent results? I don't want to ruin my project cuz I did something dumb...

On bigger areas I use the sponge brushes (spirit dyes) and it workes great, to smaller the wool daubers.