I hope some one can help me with this. I have been making leather items for the past few years mainly as gifts and for a few local folks. I am wanting to give my leather business a name and come up with a product stamp. My question: what if anything do I have to do to make sure I do not infringe on anyone else's company or have any other legal issues that I am unaware of. I live in Colorado. Any input would be great. Thanks

BTW, for grins I searched "leatherwork" and came up with....post-60051-0-35782900-1428714658_thumb.j

The simpler the better. The object of the exercise is to create brand recognition and attract people who want what you make. If your business specializes in a particular type of product I would suggest indicating that in the business name. If you are offering custom design and build products that could be worked into the company name.

In Colorado you can easily access the Colorado Secretary of State's website and search trade names filed there. Any trade name not taken can be registered for a small fee. While on the website you may want to look into incorporating as a limited liability company or subchapter S corporation, which provides some protections of your personal property (home, bank accounts, retirement funds, etc) against any claims that may be made against the business entity.

Depending on what you are making you may wish to discuss business insurance, specifically business liability insurance, with your agent or broker. I make holsters and accessories; if a customer does something stupid, like trying to holster a loaded pistol with his finger on the trigger and blows part of his leg off I prefer to allow an insurance company and its lawyers deal with the claim, rather than shelling out tens of thousands of dollars to a law firm to represent me and try to reach some kind of settlement. Business insurance is amazingly affordable.

If your products cover a broad range it might be best to do business under your own name/identity. Again, simpler is better; if you have one of those eastern European surnames with no vowels in it you may not be remembered by anyone not from your particular corner of Slovakia or Romania or wherever.

My business is called Lobo Gun Leather. Simple and easy to remember. Clearly identifies what we do (holsters, belts, accessories for carrying a sidearm). I am in southern Colorado where the Spanish influence is strong; "lobo" is Spanish for wolf, two syllables and easily pronounced and remembered. That trade name is registered with the Colorado Secretary of State and owned by my Limited Liability Company, CoryCo LLC. I have a federal employer identification number, which qualifies my business for trade purposes such as wholesale pricing from many suppliers. I carry a business insurance policy including significant liability protection.

Having a corporate identity is also handy when dealing with people who want to chisel out a cheap deal. I can easily explain that I am running a business, not playing with a hobby.

Best regards.