Sign in to follow this  
bruce johnson

miniature saddle

As some of you know, I am the board president of out local cowboy museum. We were recently contacted by an older maker who wanted to donate some of his work. We get these requests from time to time, but this one is different. This guy is from North Dakota, and his shop is 6x10 with bars. He is 76 years old, and he won't be changing shops. He is limited on tools obviously. This first saddle he sent us has a 2-3/4" seat and a 7/8" gullet. He based it on the California equitation seat western saddle. Obviously his tooling is a bit large, but he is working with what he has, and I am sure age is a factor too. He made everything but the hardware. He wove the cinch and made the stand. Everything pretty well lines up the way it should, and is to scale. We have quite a few saddles from different makers, and are glad to have work from this maker too. I attached some pictures.

IMG_0005__Small_.jpg

IMG_0006__Small_.jpg

IMG_0007__Small_.jpg

post-29-1196202355_thumb.jpg

post-29-1196202373_thumb.jpg

post-29-1196202390_thumb.jpg

It looks ready to ride!..

Every human has a worth.

oh very cool. I came across some of these saddles on another site just earlier today. I was shocked at the quality they were able to achieve with limited tools. As for time they had way more than i do.

not bad at all for a breyer horse saddle.

Are the maker's initials, "V. E.?" I was recently contacted by a person from the same locale showing samples of his holster-making work.

K-man,

His initials are V.E.A. We just got another one yesterday with a little scabbard, so he may do holsters too.