Chavez

Guitar Straps - Sweat Issue

Hi all!

I'm about to start making a couple guitar straps and I would be very grateful if somebody could advise me on dealing with the sweat issue.

Guitar players tend to sweat a lot... At least I did when I used to play =) Especially when the stage gets boiling hot from the lights, etc.

I am going to carve the belts, so I would ideally go for single layer of heavy leather. This will, however result in the flesh side soaking up sweat like a sponge - I won't be surprised if the belt starts stinking very quickly=))

How do you guys deal with problem? Line & resolene? What if the belt is not lined?

Thank you for your help!

Hi Chavez. I line all my straps and no one has complained yet about sweat. And the one strap I replaced was a completely overlaid cobra strap that the guy had used for 20 years and sweat from his neck had actually eaten up the edge in that area of the cobra leather. But the veg tanned underneath was still fine. I'll be honest with you, if the musician takes the least bit of care of his strap I don't think the sweat will damage it. I have a horse and do you know how long bridles, halters, etc last? Clean and condition them once in a while and I think the straps will be good to go for a long time. I line mine so I can put foam on the underside of mine not to make them last longer. Cheryl

Shouldn't be a problem at all, but if you're really worried about it, try to slick it up and mat the inside. That will help keep it from sucking up too much moisture. Just make sure your customers are informed on how to properly care for the leather and there shouldn't be any issues. All of my guitar straps are made from a single layer of 8/9 oz leather and I send each customer an overly detailed care sheet. I've never had any problems to date, and they get some pretty heavy use.

Thanks!

These two belts are actually for very old friends of mine, so I wouldn't mind making new belts in a few years if these become bad, but I'd rather make them right first time=)

Cyberthrasher, would you be so kind to share the care sheet with me or perhaps tell me a few helpful tips?

What do you apply to the flesh side? I guess case it, slick it, then wax or resolene?

Thank you!

I don't apply anything to the flesh side. I pretty much always leave them natural. I don't even slick them, but that's just a thought I had. Usually I try to find a part of the hide that has a nice firm and compacted back to it with nothing stringy hanging off. If it does have something like that, then I'll sand it up the best I can and make sure that's positioned on the back side of the strap. I'll send you a PM with my aftercare that I send out.

stupid question : someone cares to tell me the length and width of a guitar strap?

i guess they exist in several length and width due to the size of the guy and likes of the guy?

and if there are several kind of way to attach the strap to the guitar ;)

i think i have a feeling to try to make a guitar strap ;)

stupid question : someone cares to tell me the length and width of a guitar strap?

i guess they exist in several length and width due to the size of the guy and likes of the guy?

and if there are several kind of way to attach the strap to the guitar ;)

i think i have a feeling to try to make a guitar strap ;)

Aurelie,

There are no stupid questions. Sometimes there can be stupid answers, but that's the way it is. There are no absolutes, but here is what I use.

Guitar Straps typically come in one of two widths (there are exceptions), 2-1/2" the most popular and 3".

Guitar Straps typically are adjustable from about 44" to 52", If I have a very large or very small customer I will adjust a little.

Most Guitars have two pins one on the rear and one over or under the neck depending on the type of guitar (A few Accoustics don't have a front pin, and the strap can be attached with leather cord or braided cord, just above the nut under the strings, still same length on average). Some guitarists use Strap Locks and if that's what they are going to use, then you can custom make the holes to accomodate although Strap Locks will work with a normal 1/4" hole. One other difference is that some pickups on accoustics have a rear pin that the cord plugs into and that requires a larger button, so the hole will have to be more like 3/8" to fit well. the holes for pins are "Keyhole" type holes with, normally, a 1/4" hole and then a 3/4-1" slit ending in a size 00 hole to prevent splitting.

Hope this helps,

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

Nice thanks Chief!

lighten my "bulb" about guitar straps ;)

I always dye and slick the backs, then give them a spray of satin sheen or resolene. There is an acoustic 2.5" strap template online here at LW on the forum. I also recommend Black River Laser. Good product, fair price and fast ship.

thanks guys for the intel

i am going to look for this template ;)

By the way : "Black river Laser" is a shop in the US?

Black river laser is in the US. They do have a website. I have ordered from them twice and each time the products were great.

David

thanks guys for the intel

i am going to look for this template ;)

By the way : "Black river Laser" is a shop in the US?

Yes, it is a shop based out of Ohio. Here is the link to Joyce's home page, and the ebay store. I do believe the templates can be shipped internationally. Joyce has 3 different guitar strap templates: 2 consisting of different widths of the guitar straps with a leather adustment strap, and 1 with a sliding buckle and Chicago-screw adjustment arrangement.

http://www.blackrive...mplates-gauges/

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2562

Edited by WinterBear

Thanks a lot guys for all thoses tips

i really appreciate ;)

thx a lot!

that's the very one i managed to found a bit earlier !

seems to be a good place to start! ;)

i ll let you know when i am done with my 1st attempt at a guitar strap (not that i have guitarists around) :)

Oh Good. I am glad you found the link. I was just thinking -

after I found it - I thought I'd post the link to save some 'search time'

for anyone else reading this post. :thumbsup:

I play guitar and bass and have for longer than I care to talk about. A couple things about guitar straps from my point of view. In my opinion there are two types of straps, ones that slide, lined or rough side not against me and ones that will not slide, rough side of the leather against my body or clothes. For me that is the first thing I look at. If I am putting a strap on a Les Paul it can slide, the body of the guitar is so heavy it will not move around and try to "neck dive". I have a Washburn 6 string bass and I have to use a strap that stops the "neck dive" or I lose the bass anytime I am not literally holding it up with my left hand and I have better things to do with that hand. Acoustic guitars will do this too. Almost all of my bass straps are not only lined but padded, basses are heavy and I am not sure what they are lined and padded with but the combination works to stop the neck dive and the lined side is smooth. These straps were purchased retail and they were expensive, $55-$60 or so for each one and they are so consistent that I believe they are made by a machine. I can snap a picture of one if you want to see it.

My favorite guitar strap is almost 35 years old, plain Jane adjustable leather strap. I can flip it over for rough against me or smooth depending on the guitar I put it on. The leather has always been super soft and has not stretched or shrunk the whole time I have owned it. I have sweat through it many times to the point that I have literally squeezed sweat out of it. It has never stained me or my clothes. Again I can post a picture if you want to see it.

Edit to add I would pay double what I paid for those padded straps for one more plain Jane that is like the one I described above. Once I figure out what the leather is and what dye was used on it I will make one just like it.

Edited by CurtisKemper

Thanks a lot guys for all thoses tips

i really appreciate ;)

Hi,

BRL to ship to the EU and I am also very happy with their products.

Just keep in mind that there will be a 20% import VAT charge and potentially, another EUR 10-15 for admin from the shipping company.

The patterns are still worth every penny.

Hi,

BRL to ship to the EU and I am also very happy with their products.

Just keep in mind that there will be a 20% import VAT charge and potentially, another EUR 10-15 for admin from the shipping company.

The patterns are still worth every penny.

LMAO

Yup Chavez...Tell me about it!

90% of my suppliers are in the USA...so regarding Shipment fees, custom fees and everything...it's just a Pain in the *** :D