Sign in to follow this  
tdmullins8

How to carve small letters

I have just started making leather shields for fire helmets I have tried to carve some small letter for the department name (between 3/4 and 1/2" depinging on how many letters I need) and they are not working out so hot the edges are very rough looking and they look very fragile to sand on. I am using an exacto knife and some nice shears I purchased. Are there better cutting tools for things of this nature? Should i wet the leather? Thanks for any help

Oh my, yes, there are better tools out there. If you have a local Tandy, stop in and get some advice on purchasing and using a swivel knife. Failing that, you can order one online. You'll want to sharpen it out of the box (unless you plump for the more expensive ceramic blade), but you'll find it much better and easier to use than an Xacto knife. You'll also want to wet the leather, then let it dry a bit till it's no longer dark, but still cool to the touch.

How wet do i need to get it just nice and damp? Should I wet everything i work with or just the very small stuff?

How wet do i need to get it just nice and damp? Should I wet everything i work with or just the very small stuff?

I wipe the leather I'm working on, no matter the size, with a wet, well-rinsed sponge till it turns that nice dark orange color, and then I let it dry a bit. Do a search on this forum on "casing" or "casing the leather;" you'll find some good tips.

I've found using an angled filigree blade in a swivel knife makes it easier for me when doing lettering.