Sign in to follow this  
Constabulary

100 Dollars 1864 + 5 Dollars 1862 - Are They Real?

A couple of years ago I found two old Dollar bills from the 1860´s in WWI era Army manual (I´m collecting US Military items). And ever since I kept them but never did some research so I wonder if someone can tell me more about them.

See attached pictures

post-31854-0-61088700-1427554367_thumb.j

post-31854-0-17536100-1427554372_thumb.j

If you found them in a WWI manual, I'd think the chances are good that they're authentic. It's not likely that a counterfeiter would go to the trouble of 'hiding' fake bills in a manual for you to find. If they weren't purchased as antiques/collectibles, I think you may have stumbled onto a real treasure.

http://currency.ha.com/worth/currency-value.s

scroll down to the "confederate money" section. There are, of course, more sources than that link, and you may have a higher value on your side of the pond than over here. Just as a curiosity, did you obtain the manual locally or was it online?

I once bought a big bunch of manuals form all eras from collector and Living History buff and I don´t know where he got the stuff from - I don´t expect too much... Maybe they were just used as bookmarks.

I certainly didn't mean "retire 3 days from now" treasure....it's an idiom of speech. It's something pretty cool, completely unexpected, and you didn't pay anything extra for them. But, what the heck, might as well see if they're worth more to someone else?

Thanks for the links. It does not hurt me. I though it´s better to ask before you throw away something that "could" have a value.