Stewart

Working On 4Th Sold Baseball

post-13948-0-48207100-1373050559_thumb.jpost-13948-0-59236900-1373050577_thumb.j

This is something. 3 more to do and 2 belts.

2010 to 2013 what a trip!

Joe

Edited by Stewart

Pretty cool, Stewart! Did you really start leatherwork 3 years ago? I can only imagine trying to get a baseball to turn out round. Do you buy the cores? Strip the covers off other baseballs? Inquiring minds want to know. . .

Mike- It's top secret but it,s probably been leak out @NSA. Stripped off covers.

Cool! Great gift Idea. Are you using sinew or raw hide thread.

Pretty cool, Stewart! Did you really start leatherwork 3 years ago? I can only imagine trying to get a baseball to turn out round. Do you buy the cores? Strip the covers off other baseballs? Inquiring minds want to know. . .

Yes you can buy the cores. They come in both rubber and cork. A quick Google search will yield a few results. Buy a ball, strip the cover off, and use that as your pattern. Stitch back together using a baseball stitch. I made a leather softball as a gift for a toddler, and used a soft foam for the inside and a light weight leather because I did not want him to hurt himself and he only chewed on it anyway like toddlers do, but once I copied the pattern of the softball it was pretty easy to put it back together.

Karina

Yes 2009 found a Mentor long distance. Just started buying Al S. books. Still a stumbling beginner. Joe

Cool! Great gift Idea. Are you using sinew or raw hide thread.

Grey- Sent PM Joe

You are doing some really nice work on those baseballs. Can't wait to see the next one.

Stewart, Look up baseball stitch. There is a specific V stitch that is normally used on baseballs. The cover looks very good. Aaron

Stewart, Look up baseball stitch. There is a specific V stitch that is normally used on baseballs. The cover looks very good. Aaron

Aaron , When I started I thought I was copying the pattern on the original ball. It looked like it was 2 needled.. Seen The Baseball stich, thought it did not look right. Bought Hand sewing By A.S. and to me it sill does not feel right. I think there is a lot of variables that affect the stitching that the right way would still look funny. Joe

Stewart,

This may help. The stitch is a double needle, both moving forward and crossing in the center.

Aaron

post-2349-0-01312000-1373306540_thumb.jp

Stewart,

This may help. The stitch is a double needle, both moving forward and crossing in the center.

Aaron

How many oz. leather did you use when you did that and what size punch did you use if you don't mind me asking?

How many oz. leather did you use when you did that and what size punch did you use if you don't mind me asking?

I think is was about 5 oz on that one. A normal ball cover is pretty thin. I punched the holes with a squeeze pliers style punch. Tandy #3229-00