Rocket6R

Help! Holster Shrank After Dying It.

I made an IWB holster and just finish applying several coats of Fiebing's Leather Dye (black-alcohol based). Anyway, after letting it dry I rubbed the dried dye off in prep to put neatsfoot oil on it. Out of curiosity I put my pistol into the holster and it will not fit all the way down into the holster. It's just a 1/4" shy of fully getting into the molded holster. Do you guys think that adding the neatsfoot oil will take care of the problem?

Thanks, Paul

I f all you have done is dyed it. Wet it run it under the faucet for 15 to 30 seconds or sip it into a sink full of water for about 15 sec. Your holster should be somewhat pliable take the gun if it is not stainless wrap in plastic wrap and push into the holster until you get it to fit. If your stitch line is appropriate it will seat where you want it to. then leat it dry.

I was able to get the pistol into the holster without wetting it. However, the holster has indeed shrunk from front to back. I now have more of the trigger exposed and the safety shield molding area no longer fits the safety. It looks like the holster shrunk front to back by about 1/4". I not sure there's a way to fix it.

Another question, since this holster is dyed should I now apply neatsfoot oil before using my acrilic finishing spray, or the acrylic spray first then the neatsfoot? I spoke to a local rep at Tandy and he said to use the acrylic spray first then the neatsfoot because applying the neatsfoot after the dye could cause the dye to become uneven and blotchy. Any thoughts?

The acrylic spray is a sealer. Once you seal the holster the oil will have a hard time penetraiting into the leather. Oil first let the oil migrate into the leather over night then spray if that is the way you want to finish it. SHow us a picture before you seal it. We may have some helpful ideas for you. Wetting the leather will allow you to stretch the leather and you may be able to remold the leater in those areas.

OK, I'll oil the the holster tonight and see how it turns out. I'm wondering if the wet molding and the drying shrank the leather. I did not try to put the pistol in the holster after it dried. I did dry the holster in a toaster oven for one hour at 135f.

Well, I just put neatsfoot oil on the holster and it turned out blotchy. Some of the brown leather is now showing through the black dye. I'm getting ready to throw this holster in the trash can. Maybe there was something right about what the Tandy guy said.

Let the oil migrate into the leather the color should even out. 1 hour at 135 is a fair bit of time. I put my gun or mold in the wet holstershape leave gun in for about 10 to 15 minutes then throw it in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes. Take it out and put gun back in for about an hour then remove the gun and let it air dry over night. (just my way of doing it). Don't throw it in the trash just yet. Trust me we all have holsters that did not turn out exactly the way we wanted them. They are called lessons learned. What di the Tandy guy say?

OK, I'll oil the the holster tonight and see how it turns out. I'm wondering if the wet molding and the drying shrank the leather. I did not try to put the pistol in the holster after it dried. I did dry the holster in a toaster oven for one hour at 135f.

Yes, it can. Wetting and drying anything can make it shrink a bit. If it shrank a lot, something is out of whack. Might be the leather.

As for dye, I switched to pro oil dye for my black. I will NEVER go back to any other dye. I dye the holster, then oil it; I don't get splotchy with pro oil dye. I did get splotchy with other dyes.

The wet-forming process involves a considerable amount of stretching of the leather fibers. As the leather dries the leather will contract a bit. Applying dyes includes adding moisture, and the resulting drying can cause a bit of shrinkage.

After oiling, sealing, and final finishes are applied and fully dried, try putting the gun (or dummy) into a plastic grocery bag, then force it into the holster and leave it for several hours. The fit should be nearly perfect and ready for break-in use.

It's finished! I redyed the holster and then put my acrylic spray on it. The blotchy spots went away. I now have a solid uniform black color on the entire holster. Actually the holster turned out pretty nice. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.

photo1_zpsfaaea6e7.jpg

photo12_zps4f230cf0.jpg

photo3_zpsa8044ef3.jpg

photo4_zpsadc8437f.jpg

Looks pretty good. THe fit also looks pretty good. Nice job.

I want my holsters to start out a little to tight to insert the gun after drying. I mean .. TIGHT. Then I wrap the gun with a little wax paper and stuff it in often with a good deal of force. When I take the gun out it is perfect. A nice amount of retention but not sloppy.

My little 2 cents and I certainly not doing this as long as others ...

I case the leather (dip it fairly quickly in a frying pan with water on both sides.)

I stick it in a plastic bag for say an hour or more.

I pull it out and let it get close to its original color. Its still redish but not dark like when you removed it from the bag. I wait usually about an hour.

I stuff my gun in there and do any boning I want to do

I leave the gun in it for about 1 hour.

I stick it in the oven at about 150 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. I use a bent hanger to hang it from one of the racks I use an oven thermometer and dont put the holster in until the thermometer reads 150.

I take it out of the oven and usually wait about 30 minutes. I dont know why??

I carefully take the gun out of the holster and let it dry about 24 hours. If I stick my finger in the holster and if I feel humidity I leave it alone and wait.

I then dye

I have to work my muscles hard to get the gun in there when its wet and I work those muscles to get the gun in there with wax paper when I am done. I mean tight!

Then I get this. This particular holster is deferentially hard waxed but you get the point. Tight is OK. This particular holster is for my own carry and I can tell you it draws like a dream and I can run from godzilla and never worry about my gun popping out.

Government%201911.JPG

Edited by Boriqua