Cyberthrasher

Punisher Sportster Rear Fender Bib

I don't think I ever posted this one up here either. This one was a custom order from a guy who wanted a Punisher themed bib for his 2010 Sportster. He already had the Punisher skull on his seat and air cleaner, so he requested an image of Frank Castle. This is what I came up with after teaching myself some acrylic blending techniques. Big shout out to Spinner for all the advice he gave me on the painting. I don't do a lot of paint work outside of full color, so that was pretty new to me.

post-22094-0-83617900-1399671584_thumb.j

post-22094-0-58307400-1399671585_thumb.j

post-22094-0-64682900-1399671586_thumb.j

post-22094-0-25112700-1399671587_thumb.j

That looks great, Cyberthrasher!

Nice job! I don't guess you have any links to any online resources you would be willing to share?

Nice job! I don't guess you have any links to any online resources you would be willing to share?

For painting?? There's a LOT of good stuff here.

http://www.elfwood.com/farp/art-tutorials.html

That looks great, Cyberthrasher!

Thanks!!

Very nicely done......you really captured the moment....not easy in leather....cudos.

Is that angelus acrylic paint? Been trying to get a finish like that.

I believe that one was Createx white thinned with water for the greys and Liquitex medium for the white. I used a wash technique to get the grey blending and then did the highlights with a wash on the white that was already thinned with the medium

How do you get the black for the background appear so seamless? Is that also createx?

The way I imagine it is you paint the whole thing black and then paint the colours for the portrait. It looks like bridle leather from the pictures but its either dye or acrylic I can't tell.

How do you get the black for the background appear so seamless? Is that also createx?

The way I imagine it is you paint the whole thing black and then paint the colours for the portrait. It looks like bridle leather from the pictures but its either dye or acrylic I can't tell.

You can see in that last picture that it's plain old veg tan tooling leather, 5/6 oz.

When it comes to color, I have a strict philosophy that every color that's available as dye should be dyed. Save the paint for those colors that are harder to get in a dye. The reason for this is that dye penetrates the leather and changes its color, where paint only sits on top (though proper thinning will help it sink in a little bit for better adhesion).

With that said, since the only colors on this one were black and white, I dyed the entire piece black with Fiebing's Pro Oil Black and then went through and did my painting over the top, leaving the black that was already there for the black portions of the picture. The only spot I did use black paint was a little bit mixed with the white on the gun to get more of a black grey color overall. There's about 3 or 4 varying shades of grey on the gun. I started with the lightest tint, and then added the darker spots bit by bit by adding just a touch of black here and there to the pallet.

After it's all done, just finish as normal.

You can see in that last picture that it's plain old veg tan tooling leather, 5/6 oz.

When it comes to color, I have a strict philosophy that every color that's available as dye should be dyed. Save the paint for those colors that are harder to get in a dye. The reason for this is that dye penetrates the leather and changes its color, where paint only sits on top (though proper thinning will help it sink in a little bit for better adhesion).

With that said, since the only colors on this one were black and white, I dyed the entire piece black with Fiebing's Pro Oil Black and then went through and did my painting over the top, leaving the black that was already there for the black portions of the picture. The only spot I did use black paint was a little bit mixed with the white on the gun to get more of a black grey color overall. There's about 3 or 4 varying shades of grey on the gun. I started with the lightest tint, and then added the darker spots bit by bit by adding just a touch of black here and there to the pallet.

After it's all done, just finish as normal.

oxalic acid or leather bleach necessary to keep the lighter colours consistent or do you simply wipe it down with water and airbrush while its drying?

No airbrush here. It's just hand brushing using an acrylic "wash" technique.

I've actually never used acid or bleach on anything.

Love this piece! Awesome job all the way around. The black dye is nice and even, the black/grey shading makes it all come to life, and the lace is on point. Well done!

Thanks guys!

I really wish the customer would have sent me a photo of it on his bike. It's always a bummer when you can't see the final result.

That's fantastic. I really like the detail and colouring.

Thanks Odin

impressive !

Thanks! It's definitely one of my favorite pieces. :)