mazopanda

Wallets, Belts, Watch Straps. Need A Few Pointers.

I've been fairly interested in making leathercrafting a new hobby of mine for a few months now. My belt broke and was on the hunt for a new one when someone told me I could just make one myself.

I want to dive right in but so far have been quite confused as to which tools are necessary and which ones aren't. Looking around the net most people explain that you should only buy tools as you need them to which my wallet most certainly agrees. For my first project I'm looking to make a simple belt. I'm probaby not going to carve/tool any designs on it so I don't think I need stamps but I could be wrong. Next I'd like to make some wallets and then maybe some watch straps. I think most of my time will probably be spent making wallets so I'd prefer to get tools necessary to make one. Right now I do not have any tools or knives to accomplish any part of the wallet/belt making process so if anyone could give me a few directions as to what I should buy I'd be really grateful. Budget wise I plan to invest around 200$ to start and then maybe build from there once I get things going. What do you guys think?

Hey mezo, that's kinda a tough question without knowing how you want to make your wallets, I mean as far as design. I would recommend the basic 6 that usually come as a set, you can make just about any design with them you want with practice. Then you'll need a swivel knife and a mallet or maul. I'd suggest a strap cutter, and then some leather and dye and you're on your way.

I'd stay away from Tandy for any of this. They have poor quality tools these days and charge more than other places. You could easily get all that from Springfield leather company and if you call they may think of something I've forgotten. They have veg tanned bellies for around $25.00 and will put a straight edge on it for you so your strap cutter can cut a straight piece of leather up to 4 inches. The belly part of a cow is a little stretchy but not bad for the projects you mentioned. Also they tool really nicely. Good luck, Cheryl

I've been fairly interested in making leathercrafting a new hobby of mine for a few months now. My belt broke and was on the hunt for a new one when someone told me I could just make one myself.

I want to dive right in but so far have been quite confused as to which tools are necessary and which ones aren't. Looking around the net most people explain that you should only buy tools as you need them to which my wallet most certainly agrees. For my first project I'm looking to make a simple belt. I'm probaby not going to carve/tool any designs on it so I don't think I need stamps but I could be wrong. Next I'd like to make some wallets and then maybe some watch straps. I think most of my time will probably be spent making wallets so I'd prefer to get tools necessary to make one. Right now I do not have any tools or knives to accomplish any part of the wallet/belt making process so if anyone could give me a few directions as to what I should buy I'd be really grateful. Budget wise I plan to invest around 200$ to start and then maybe build from there once I get things going. What do you guys think?

Take a look at this thread: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=40290

CTG

Hey mezo, that's kinda a tough question without knowing how you want to make your wallets, I mean as far as design. I would recommend the basic 6 that usually come as a set, you can make just about any design with them you want with practice. Then you'll need a swivel knife and a mallet or maul. I'd suggest a strap cutter, and then some leather and dye and you're on your way.

I'd stay away from Tandy for any of this. They have poor quality tools these days and charge more than other places. You could easily get all that from Springfield leather company and if you call they may think of something I've forgotten. They have veg tanned bellies for around $25.00 and will put a straight edge on it for you so your strap cutter can cut a straight piece of leather up to 4 inches. The belly part of a cow is a little stretchy but not bad for the projects you mentioned. Also they tool really nicely. Good luck, Cheryl

Thanks for responding. To start I'm probably only going to make classic billfold wallets.

I'm not going to tool any designs on my projects just yet. Probably going for simple construction and dyeing first.

What would be the basic tools for that?

Take a look at this thread: http://leatherworker...showtopic=40290

CTG

Thanks. Do those tools for the bags work with belts and wallets?

Well mazo for just smooth wallets you'll need thin veg tanned leather, and very thin lining leather, and a way to sew them after they are dyed. So you'll need leather needles and awl, and waxed thread. Springfield will cut you sq ft. of leather so you don't have to buy a whole side or shoulder. If I was going to start I'd get: (this is looking at least expensive but still a nice product while you practice)

a veg tanned belly from them, 5-6oz Maybe 25.00

Black glazed pig for lining (I just bought a whole pig for around 18.00 because they have it on special)

Tell them to put a straight edge on both for you

Strap cutter

Dyes of your choice, if you want I can explain some of the difference in them or Springfield will be glad to

Resolene to finish and protect them

Package of leather sewing needles, not harness or lacing needles

GOOD awl, very important, you'll use it a lot.

waxed thread, usually comes in black, brown and white.

And there are tons of tutorials on wallets and threads in 'how do I do that' or other places. I doubt all of this would cost $100.00 with the shipping and it will give you plenty to make mistakes on and practice on. For a pattern? Go to goodwill or someplace like it, get a used wallet and disassemble it, and you're in the wallet business. I hope this helps. Cheryl

Thanks. Do those tools for the bags work with belts and wallets?

Yes they do.

There is some good wallet info in this post: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=41902&hl=+wallet%20+pattern#entry260881. There is also a reference to a pattern near the end of that thread. If you copy an old wallet, pick a simple one. Some have too many pieces and would be quite bulky when made of leather. There is a tutorial here: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=38359&hl=wallet

Enjoy.

CTG

I can't wait to see them, really. Just be careful of the 'bug.' Cost goes way up after you catch that :-) Cheryl