DavidL

3/4 Hermann Oak Vegtan

Can the 3/4 hermann oak be folded in half and not bulge up so much.

Im making a wallet that has a piece of leather folded onto itself.
This type of 3/4 veg is this as stiff as 6/7 or 8/9 leather. I had small samples of those two sizes and is stiff as wood.

If you can provide pictures of some scraps that would be appreciated.

3/4 Hermann Oak folds over fine, 4/5 OK, 5/6 too firm. Hermann Oak in general is very firm, but the lighter weights are easy to work with. I'll put in a plug for my local supplier, Golliger Leather in Ventura, CA. Good prices on Hermann Oak and always have A Grade in stock. Give 'em a call.

thank you for the info, good to know that its doable. When it folds over does it fold without a bulge almost the same way as folding a piece of paper not totally flat but the closes to it? The end use is for a slim wallet so any large bulges will not work.

Do you have the option to groove the fold? So it will lay flatter. If you mark where you want the fold and groove to either side leaving a little ridge in the middle it works really well.

You can always skive it down where the fold will be.

I bought a groover, the blade of it was bent so I may need to buy another one or see if I can get it replaced.

It will be like a pouch and I don't want the groove to be seen when its opened. If it can be tapered to a smooth transition w/ a dremel sanding disk that could work. 3 for the main portion and 2 oz thinned at the fold. I have never used a gouge before so I have no idea how it will look.

The best option is if can be folded and pressed flat. Anyone has herman oak 3/4 that can do this? The 2/3 ounce of veg I have can be folded easily, it is softer and feels and reacts more like chrome tanned though.