Sign in to follow this  
Bronson

This is my latest holster

Again, any comments welcome.

I would've posted them both in the same post but they were too big.

Bronson

008.JPG

post-9644-1236817388_thumb.jpg

Nice job!

Looks good for your 2nd go at it.

Are you drilling or using a chisel for you stitching holes? Hard to tell from the pic but they look big.

Looks good for your 2nd go at it.

Thanks, although It's not my second one :(

Are you drilling or using a chisel for you stitching holes? Hard to tell from the pic but they look big.

I'm using a chisel. I didn't have good luck with drilling them when I tried it.

Bronson

Thanks, although It's not my second one :(

I'm using a chisel. I didn't have good luck with drilling them when I tried it.

Bronson

I started my first holster w/a chisel. Did 1 side w/the chisel and finished the other w/an awl. Have you considered using a stitching awl. I would recommend the Al Stohlman book on stitching!

I started my first holster w/a chisel. Did 1 side w/the chisel and finished the other w/an awl. Have you considered using a stitching awl. I would recommend the Al Stohlman book on stitching!

I recently picked up a stitching awl and I have the (very good) Stohlman book. I just haven't worked up the nerve to give it a go. I need to slap two scrap pieces together and give it a shot since I've got a new one waiting to be punched on the bench right now. The big benefit of learning to use the awl would be that I could keep working on holsters after my girlfriend went to bed :P

How long did it take you to get the hang of it? Any tips or things I should look out for?

Bronson

How long did it take you to get the hang of it? Any tips or things I should look out for?

I'd say that after about my third holster it felt odd NOT having awl and needles all in hand at the same time. Looking at your chisled holes I guess that the extra effort getting the needles through the awl holes will be your biggest change. That shouldn't be very difficult to overcome.

Dan

Looking at your chisled holes I guess that the extra effort getting the needles through the awl holes will be your biggest change. That shouldn't be very difficult to overcome.

Yeah, the big chiseled holes do make stitching go quickly.

Bronson