OurJud

Stitch-Strength Glue

Simple question: Is there a glue/adhesive that bonds leather as securely or more securely than stitching?

For clarity, I'm referring to the areas which are normally stitched, i.e the edges of wallets.

Edited by OurJud

If you use Weldwood contact cement and apply it correctl then give it overnight to cure you will destroy the leather trying to get it apart. Not saying it is the bestor only choice but I know Weldwood works.

Edited by camano ridge

Ooh, thanks camano! I find stitching far too time consuming and actually prefer the clean lines a sitichless leather product gives.

I know saying such a thing on a leather forum is sacrilege, but there you go.

I've had a look at the Barge cement I've seen mentioned, but it's a little pricey.

Thanks again.

Barge has a fair amount of odor and needs a well ventilatedare to work. The Weldwood is a bout 10.00 a can and will do many many projects. If you get the non flammable type thw odor is low. Important thing is to apply to both sides walk away for about a half hour when it feels dry put the two pieces together and hand press or rollover with a rolling pin. Make sure you have both pieces aligned before pressing together. Once they are stuck they are stuck. Stitching is time consuming if you don't have a machine. Something to think about though if a glued wallet alone will sell and it saves time and looks and works as good as one without stitches why is it hard to find a glued only wallet. I doubt you are the first one to think of it. :)

I've had a good search for this Weldwood cement and typically it's not available over here in the UK. Why is the UK so crap for leather goods??

Good point you make about the rarity of glued-only leather products... it does make you wonder. My mum has a sewing machine, but it's just a basic dress-making model. I've tried it on a few scraps of thin stuff (1.5mm) and I've found if I turn the wheel by hand rather than using the treadle it kind of works. Another idea I had was to make the holes with the machine (no thread) and then hand stitch.

Edited by OurJud

mmmh... I´d think glueing won´t ever be as strong as stitching due the glue just adheres to the surface while the stitching goes all the way through the leather. So the glue might be quite strong, but as long as you can rip the piece apart (because you just have to rip of the very top layer of the surface) I won´t be satisfied with the product I produce. As a additional component any kind of glue might be great, but I won´t use it as an replacement for stitching...

there are lots of places in the uk for leather tools and other bits, for glue you could try Abbey or Le prevo. both sell contact adhesive which you do the job you require be careful to get everything alined as you only get one go with these sorts of glue. I use them in my job as a trimmer and once stuck down they take a lot of work to get off again, as others have said they will not be as good as stitching.