to those who make gun belts for everyday carry and such... do you punch oval holes for the belt adjustment holes or not? and if you do, where did you get the punch? all i see are circular ones.

Yes, . . . Tandy Leather store.

May God bless,

Dwgiht

I couldn't find them on springfield leathers site, guess I'll have to go to Tandy

Weaver has oval drive punches.

does everyone stitch the edges of the gun belts they make? I can see that taking a looong time by hand.

Because I only make double layer gunbelts, . . . yes they are contact cemented together, . . . but they are also sewn ALL THE WAY AROUND.

With my sewing machine, . . . it runs between 10 and 20 minutes per belt.

But it is totally worth it.

I know a fellow who used to do them by hand, . . . he started on one end, . . . his wife on the other end, . . . usually took them an evening of watching TV together, . . . but they enjoyed it, . . . made a few bucks, . . . win / win situation.

May God bless,

Dwight

well springfield leather claims their belts should work well as gun belts.. as in these ones.. http://springfieldleather.com/18888/Belt-Blank%2CSnaps%2C1-1-2%22x48-52%22/

i thought i would try a few of those before attempting to make my own from scratch. id rather not stitch an entire belt by hand if i don't have to

After stitching the first or second one you would probably be pretty good at stitching!

Chris

After stitching the first or second one you would probably be pretty good at stitching!

Chris

haha, yea i bet!

well springfield leather claims their belts should work well as gun belts.. as in these ones.. http://springfieldleather.com/18888/Belt-Blank%2CSnaps%2C1-1-2%22x48-52%22/

i thought i would try a few of those before attempting to make my own from scratch. id rather not stitch an entire belt by hand if i don't have to

If you are going to carry a scandium 5 shot .38, . . . probably will be OK for a while. Eventually you will find the snaps will come apart if you put any real force onto the belt buckle (at least I've seen the experience, . . . and it ain't funny).

And the time frame for that eventuality becomes much shorter if you are carrying a steel 1911, . . . a Python, . . . or similar piece.

I use Chicago Screws to hold my gun belts together.

Good luck, . . . like they say in the funny papers, . . . you can make do if you make yourself do it.

I will always prefer a double layer, stitched gun belt, . . . after my first one years and years ago, . . . I got hooked.

And, yes, . . . for myself (not for profit..........), . . . for myself, . . . I would hand sew one.

That single layer belt will sag like a stepped on jump rope after a fairly short while, . . . Herman Oak notwithstanding, . . . it's just leather.

May God bless,

Dwight

If you are going to carry a scandium 5 shot .38, . . . probably will be OK for a while. Eventually you will find the snaps will come apart if you put any real force onto the belt buckle (at least I've seen the experience, . . . and it ain't funny).

And the time frame for that eventuality becomes much shorter if you are carrying a steel 1911, . . . a Python, . . . or similar piece.

I use Chicago Screws to hold my gun belts together.

Good luck, . . . like they say in the funny papers, . . . you can make do if you make yourself do it.

I will always prefer a double layer, stitched gun belt, . . . after my first one years and years ago, . . . I got hooked.

And, yes, . . . for myself (not for profit..........), . . . for myself, . . . I would hand sew one.

That single layer belt will sag like a stepped on jump rope after a fairly short while, . . . Herman Oak notwithstanding, . . . it's just leather.

May God bless,

Dwight

how thick would that be when its all said and done? My friends and I dont carry heavy guns at the moment, my edc is a ruger sr9c and my friends both carry springfield xd's (9mm).

so what your saying is herman oak is good leather for a belt then? because thats what they are made out of.

Edited by tardis86

how thick would that be when its all said and done? My friends and I dont carry heavy guns at the moment, my edc is a ruger sr9c and my friends both carry springfield xd's (9mm).

so what your saying is herman oak is good leather for a belt then? because thats what they are made out of.

Herman Oak is good leather, . . . but just leather: it'll crack, peel, bend, break, fold, spindle, and mutilate, . . . the blank with snaps is what I don't like and prefer not to use.

Chicago screws keep the belt together, . . . snaps can easily come undone, . . . not often, . . . maybe never in your experience, . . . but only one sneeze in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and your gun may be sliding across the marble floor to the chagrin of those around you. Probable???? NO, not at all. Possible, . . . Murphy says it is, . . . and I've known that goofball long enough to know he comes around at the worst possible times.

My belts I make and sell, . . . generally are never thinner than .160, . . . and not thicker than .210. The shorter they are, . . . the thinner, . . . and vice versa.

I carried an XD double stacked .45 for a while, . . . it took my .240 belt to comfortably keep it and two mags together on my skinny frame.

I still carry a compact all steel 1911 most of the time, . . . on that same .240 belt. It is comfortable.

Your SR9C is light, . . . but also because it is light, . . . will tend to flop around if not well secured. Again, . . . a better belt makes that an easier chore.

Try a stitched double layer belt, . . . what have you got to lose??? I really think you will be amazed and happily surprised at how well it carries the extra weight and keeps everything in place like it is supposed to.

May God bless,

Dwight

Ut Oh...

I made a gun/bullet belt out of a Tandy 1-1/4" blank a while back for a friend. Maybe 3 months ago for a Python. I will have to ask him how it's holding up. After reading these posts, I may need to make a second layer for it and stitch it all the way around. It also came with those small snaps. I may need to completely re-make it for him. It was a gift.

BTW, is nylon a better stitching thread to use for heavy duty use or the other, polyester. They are the two waxed threads Tandy sells. I don't know which one is stronger, but the polyester has a lot more wax on it so it stays in the previously sewn holes much better than the nylon with less wax on it. I would use the nylon if it is stronger for more heavy duty applications. They are the same thickness.

I have a Tandy Outlet right in town here so it is convenient to get stuff there. Is Springfield a good source for leather supplies, like do they sell as good as or better quality stuff than Tandy?

Thanks,

Bob