Sign in to follow this  
JoelR

Flesh-Side-Out holsters

Well, I made the mistake of showing off my first attempts at holsters at my last range session and now have two requests to make holsters. Being a novice, I'm assuming the price was the swaying arguement more than the quality. That being said, the holster that is to be emulated is a tuckable pancake-style that I stitched with the flesh-side out for better holster retention during draw and comfort. The leather I've been using and the only leather I have experience with was a belly bought from Tandy. So, since others are paying for the leather I am going to buy something that is hopefully higher quality - a double-shoulder from Springfield that they have on sale (3.99 AB grade). For anyone who has designed a flesh-side-out holster, how did you finish the flesh side? Specifically, did you find it necessary to sand the leather smooth and slightly burnish it? Additionally, since the smooth side will be against the firearm, is there a need/benefit to add a liner? I didn't worry about it on the holsters I made for myself since the finishes of my firearms don't really show holster-wear but these new holsters will be for blued 1911's so holster-wear would be an issue. Thanks for any and all advice.

with the flesh side out you only need to sand it slightly just to soften if the fibers are kinda stiff. other than that i dont put any finish on the flesh side. after some time it may become "grungy" and all that is needed to clean it is slightly sand it again. as far as the inside i rub in some supersheen, but that is about it. not alot involved as far as finishes on the fleshout holster. i'm sure someone else has some more ideas.

Tony

I haven't come up with a natural (tan) finish for fleshout that I'm real happy with. But for black use vinagaroon and a light neatsfoot coating. Every holster I've done like this has turned out with a really nice rough suede look and feel.

For the inside a tiny bit of NF and bagkote to finish.

Dan

I haven't come up with a natural (tan) finish for fleshout that I'm real happy with. But for black use vinagaroon and a light neatsfoot coating. Every holster I've done like this has turned out with a really nice rough suede look and feel.

For the inside a tiny bit of NF and bagkote to finish.

Dan

hey Dan, do you use neatsfoot on the natural flesh side also?

Yeah, I've prety much resolved myself to vinegaroon for black as well. Now that I've let mine age, it produces deep black even before adding conditioner.

Will the NF oil work as a sweat barrier on the human side of the holster?

hey Dan, do you use neatsfoot on the natural flesh side also?

I tried It hoping for the same effect but soaks into the flesh side so fast that I ended up overdoing it. Then it's too soft. Vinagarooning it seems to increase the amount of oil the leather can take in without going limp, or it just idiot proofs the leather.

I'm using Aussie conditioner on the natural ones now which slicks the fibers down. Not as nice looking or feeling.

I'll get it right one of these days.

Dan

I tried It hoping for the same effect but soaks into the flesh side so fast that I ended up overdoing it. Then it's too soft. Vinagarooning it seems to increase the amount of oil the leather can take in without going limp, or it just idiot proofs the leather.

I'm using Aussie conditioner on the natural ones now which slicks the fibers down. Not as nice looking or feeling.

I'll get it right one of these days.

Dan

cool thanks for the input Dan :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Edited by troop