Sign in to follow this  
SandSquid

Masters And Apprentices.

Turned out that Luke Hatley and I live about 5 miles apart, and he invited me over for a meet and greet.

WOW

I cannot express how grateful I am for the invite and for how many mistakes I have been making that he corrected, and future mistakes I would have made, that he adverted by a few hours of question, answers and tutelage. It helped me recall when I was doing the same thing 15 years ago teaching traditional woodworking techniques to adult education students ant the VoTech on Saturdays. Not many came but the ones who did were there because they really had a passion for it.

There really is no way to learn these manual handcrafts than under the watchful eye of a seasoned Master.... That is why the Trade Guilds were so successful.

Regardless of which trade it was, they had a very strict regimented learning process of an Apprentice under a Master.

Apprentice, Journeyman, Craftsman, someday perhaps; Master. And so the cycle goes.

I truly lament the loss of such guilds and especially the Master Craftsmen in them.

I challenge (beseech, even) everyone to seek out these Masters and learn everything you can from them!

Today I played Apprentice under a true Master.

(And I have a lot of homework to do!-)

Thank you, Luke!

Edited by SandSquid

AW SHUCKS TWERNT NOTHING.....

i did enjoy the visit with you and hope you come back.

AW SHUCKS TWERNT NOTHING.....

i did enjoy the visit with you and hope you come back.

After a few hours with this swivel knife, I've already got questions.... and hand cramps!!!

But that part is done, and I'm going to start with the veiner work tomorrow.

JustKate is smiling.

post-11052-028481500 1335429335_thumb.jppost-11052-076091900 1335429329_thumb.jppost-11052-028481500 1335429335_thumb.jp

Turned out that Luke Hatley and I live about 5 miles apart, and he invited me over for a meet and greet.

WOW

I cannot express how grateful I am for the invite and for how many mistakes I have been making that he corrected, and future mistakes I would have made, that he adverted by a few hours of question, answers and tutelage. It helped me recall when I was doing the same thing 15 years ago teaching traditional woodworking techniques to adult education students ant the VoTech on Saturdays. Not many came but the ones who did were there because they really had a passion for it.

There really is no way to learn these manual handcrafts than under the watchful eye of a seasoned Master.... That is why the Trade Guilds were so successful.

Regardless of which trade it was, they had a very strict regimented learning process of an Apprentice under a Master.

Apprentice, Journeyman, Craftsman, someday perhaps; Master. And so the cycle goes.

I truly lament the loss of such guilds and especially the Master Craftsmen in them.

I challenge (beseech, even) everyone to seek out these Masters and learn everything you can from them!

Today I played Apprentice under a true Master.

(And I have a lot of homework to do!-)

Thank you, Luke!

post-11052-019010100 1335429325_thumb.jp

Wow, that's fantastic! And what a great and talented guy Luke sounds. Thought you might like to see this about use here in the UK.http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/business/apprentice-rob-keeps-the-craft-of-leatherwork-alive-1.924383?referrerPath=home/2.3307 And here's some photos of the workshop here in Hexham, UK. All the best, Andy.