donkey

non-leather sewing machine

Hello friendly leatherworkers!  I've been trying to get into making dog collars and other such small paraphernalia, and I would really like to be able to use a machine.  However, I'm not ready to shell out $1500 on a leather sewing machine (well.....  not ready/don't have it :)  

I read on a different post that someone was sewing garment leather with a normal sewing machine.  Is this an option?  I probably won't be sewing more than 2 layers together at a time (maybe 3?).

Thanks for any advice!

Keep in mind that your stitch length is determined by your feed dogs. Sometimes a non-leather machine will sew the leather material but the stitch length will be too short because it is to thick for the feed dogs to advance the material far enough. I can sew two pieces of 5oz leather with no problem but anything thicker than that and the stitch length suffers. With a regular machine you are also limited to No.69 upholstery thread.

All you can do is try, but in my experience you will be better off with a leather sewing machine.

You also need to get a leather needle (a good one will cost you about $2.50). And I also don't recommend a plastic sewing machine (Brother, Jenome, etc.) While they may be good to high quality sewing machines, I doubt that the plastic parts will last too long.

I have an old Dressmaker. It's all metal, the only thing that isn't is the drive belt.

Thanks for the advice - I'm actually looking at a couple of old Singer 201 (dressmaker?) machines on Ebay - I'm thinking this may suit my purpose.

Now does anyone have any book recommendations about learning how to sew??

The older White, Kenmore, and Singer machines will do light leather work. You can get the needles at any sewing store for those machine, five or six in a package for 4 or 5 bucks. I used to buy them several packages at a time. Since they are smaller needles they also break easier.

Thanks for the advice - I'm actually looking at a couple of old Singer 201 (dressmaker?) machines on Ebay - I'm thinking this may suit my purpose.

Now does anyone have any book recommendations about learning how to sew??

Singer and Dressmaker are 2 separate brands. I think Dressmaker originated from Germany (which is where my grandmother picked it up from while she was living there long before she ever heard about them here in America) because mine has to have a power converter while my moms, who has a Dressmaker also, doesn't, there's almost 35 years difference between the 2.

This is what I have.

Hmmm. I just looked all over mine and the only thing that says singer on it is the needle. I'll try to remember to ask my mom about hers. The only thing I can think of right off hand is that maybe Singer bought out Dressmaker after mine was made. I must look into the history of this line of machines.

Singer and Dressmaker are 2 separate brands...

I think Singer may have used the term "dressmaker" in some of their advertising for the model 201, as a means to promote the machine as being the perfect thing for ladies who made their own dresses. However, I don't have any printed proof to back it up. It was one of their finest models, and quite suitable for the home dress maker. I've heard the term used in association with the 201, especially by the older ladies I've talked to that bought one of them new years ago, and by reading internet posts by former Singer Salesmen.

CD

Fact is, most of the machines badged Dressmaker are Japanese clones of the Singer 15 class - good machines, usually. Oscillating shuttle.

If you really want to sew light leather (or heavy upholstery!) on a home machine, find one with a rotary shuttle - White Rotary, or any of the old Pfaffs - get size 18 leather point needles, and a ROLLER FOOT. Without the roller foot, you will fight top layer creep until you go crazy. With a (steel, please) roller foot, at least you will be able to feed a reasonably thick stack without breaking the needle every foot or so. There used to be a couple of sellers on ebay that still had the steel roller feet - they are getting tough to find.

Barring that, a teflon foot is the next best solution. I have in the past also resorted to strips of paper under the foot - just sew through them, then tear away. Ugly, but it works.

Best solution - save up for a dedicated walking foot or better. - oh, and don't get suckered in by the Pfaff top feed foot - it is NOT hefty enough for what you are asking. Had one, sold it. Home machines are for sewing clothing.

I have an old Elna Super 62U from the 60s, and I can sew up to about 3/4" thick with variable stitch lengths. The only two reasons I can't go thicker than that are that my presser foot won't go any higher and it will bind up the needle if I try to squeeze anything thicker through. But 3/4" or less and it looks at me as if to say "Is that all you have?"

We offer a very nice walking foot machine for $795.00 complete with mobile stand with locking castor wheels, high quality plywood tabletop, variable speed DC servo motor, and machine head. The machine we offer is in the same class as the Brother 797, Artisan 797 AB, and some others.

Good machine for light and medium weight leathers.

One of the machines that I have is a Pfaff 60 sewing machine for sewing upholstery leather, garment leather.Its not a leather machine, but a very strong domestic machine.(all metal) My Mother used to make all of our clothes on it when we were kids. ( now I have it )

I can sew up to 3 layers of upholstery leather, without the machine suffering, or labouring too much, and without affecting the stitch.

I do use upholstery thread, much stronger than domestic thread, and a leather needle.

And I give all the TLC that it needs.

Happy sewing. :cowboy:

HS