Sign in to follow this  
Tkleather1

new burnisher

Well I finally got a peice of hardwood. I found a piece of dalmation wood. I had never heard of it but the guy at Windsor plywood told me it was a very dense wood that turned real nice. So I bruoght it home, Now I dont have a lathe so I did things the very hard way. the piece was round to start so that helped, I found the center and drilled and tapped a hole, chucked it up to the grinder that it will be mounted to for the duration of its life, well my center hole was a touch off but pretty darn close, spun it up and went to work with a file to get it all trued up, then I went at it with some 160 grit sand paper and then 220 to get it a little smoother my final sanding was with 0000 steel wool. Now since I dont have a lathe I dont have any of the tools that go with it either. to cut the grooves I used a round chainsaw type file and just worked it around to vary the width and depth of the gooves. after I cut the grooves I went back at them with the sand paper and steel wool to smooth it all up.

I rubbed it down with just neetsfoot oil after I was all done and it sure looks nice. I tried it out and it works alot nicer than I expected it too since I am about the farthest thing from a wood worker. I will post some pictures when I get my camera fixed but that is liable to be a while.

I know that there are alot of esier ways to do this but the whole thing only cost me 5.99 not bad. granted I had all of the supplies except the wood.

Tell me what I should have done different, I know this is difficult without pictures but do your best. ha ha

Dimensions are 3" long and 2-1/2" in diameter.

You did nothing wrong..I basically did the same using my drill press with a hole saw to cut the rounds, then mounted three pieces on the buffer shaft ,after putting some wood glue on the inside surfaces and tightened the shaft nut to compress them together.Turned on the buffer and cut grooves with a rattail file.I used Red Oak,it works fine! the RO board was a few bucks.

Yeah 5.99 and some quality shop time and a learning experience sure beats the hell out of 40.00.

No offense to those of you who build and sell them of course.