Well, got lining the tube left but next tube has shorter deadline so I'm gonna get started with that.Lacing came out a little crooked on the top cap bends and when applying leathersheen some reds came off and mixed in to sheen causing the tooled golden details to get a bit dirty, maybe I try remove the sheen with some alcohol and re-paint the gold. Direct spotlight causes some nasty glares in the sheen, looks better in reality. :whatdoyouthink:

Tom

_IMG_6352_01.jpg

_IMG_6357_01.jpg

_IMG_6363_01.jpg

_IMG_6364_01.jpg

_IMG_6367_01.jpg

_IMG_6370_01.jpg

_IMG_6378_01.jpg

_IMG_6385_01.jpg

_IMG_6394_01.jpg

post-5146-1208471714_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1208471734_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1208471753_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1208471768_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1208471831_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1208471875_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1208471887_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1208471900_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1208471911_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomSwede

Skithäftigt:-)

Congartulations Tom, that one looks really nice. I really like the red background with the antiquing on (I think it is) You shoild be very proud of this.

Jeeez! Holy...! You got some skills brutha! That is fantastic.

I wouldn't change a thing.

KK

Tackar så myket Tina och Kevin (thank you sooo much, I think it means alot coming from both of you).

I probably skive the bottom edge of the topcap down a bit, too much stress on the string even though I measured this carefully before lacing.

Tom

WOW!!! That is really nice!! You did an outstanding job! I would be proud to carry fishing rods in that!

Congratulations on a job well done! :cowboy:

Regards,

Nick

tom , you are looking good, 10 more and you will have them perfect

Nice job Tom!

All the little touches add up big time.

DANG BRO!!! Way to show your goods. This is flipp'n NICE!!! I think I'm still at WOW. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::clapping::clapping::clapping::thumbsup:

Thanks you Grunt and Luke!

Yeah I hope I get some attention from fishers with theese first two ones. They are going to Norway to fish in some really exclusive waters in June. I have a third one planned, totally different and thinking some exclusive sealskin lining would be a nice touch. I have no plans of making two of the same but if I get orders I can do it.

Tom

Nice job Tom!

All the little touches add up big time.

DANG BRO!!! Way to show your goods. This is flipp'n NICE!!! I think I'm still at WOW. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::clapping::clapping::clapping::thumbsup:

Thank you guys!

Spider, I'm blushing ha ha!!

RDB, I was thinking that the devil is in the details but wanted to keep it a clean and elegant design though having those brass strap fittings. One thing most other makes have is a tendency to just bolt a big clunky lether topcap on the the tube with some standard so that's the area I worked alot with, backdraw is it's a bit weaker construction.

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

Tom, you've nailed this down nicely, all the little extras you put into this case all add up to pure elegance for the fisherman. I love the way all the colors compliment each other, and the braided tie down looks so good.

Great job Tom, good luck on the next ones.

Ken

V e r y...nice work. I need to mke one for my handmade flyrod. Your tooling and lettering are excellent.

Thanks Ken! I just love the way braids open ne doors when it comes to decoration. One can stick with decorative braids ot add other cool stuff . You showed me that among others, Davids braided seat tops has also had an huge impact on me and I actually made the roundbraided tiedown from an impluse when Hedge made some nice comments on my mexi braids and, voila the tie down was born.

Credit to Hedge for that one is in place I think.

Tom

Nice work Tom, very impressive. After reading your other thread, I was looking forward to seeing the finished product. You did not disappoint. Great work man.

John

Thanks John and Kate!

Yeah fly fishers is alot into their gear!

Glad you liked and were not disappointed!

Tom

V e r y...nice work. I need to mke one for my handmade flyrod. Your tooling and lettering are excellent.

Hey Regis almost missed your post, it got sueezed between answers.

Thank you for your kind words. Actually I'm not very happy with my tooling here..but..tooling an very large leatherpiece that can't be spun around as I'm used to proved to be very difficult. Sometime I had to put the beveler backwards from me, not funny. Well valuable experience I can say. I have adde lot's of experience with this one so hopefully I can improve on coming ones.

A handmade rod should have a nice case like this, go for it!!

Tom

Thank you Mudman and all of you for nice responses!

Now I have worn out the reload button, lol so time to hit the sack.

Just thought I'd mention something I forgot about erlier and that is how y'all fel about the tie-down cord entering out the back on the top.

Neat, doesn't matter, ugly?? My concern is that it to some might look a bit unfinished. I left it as is (with a roband knot and brass pearls) and gonna reason with my friend of what he'd like to do with it. I have had totally free hands in making this one (name in gold was only demand). It can be used as tie-down on the other side but that wasn't part of the original plan at all so it's a bit short but with some good will and stubborness it can be done.

Credit to Hedge for encouraging me to make the roundbraid wich led to the idea of the tie-down top.

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

Beautiful! I really like how you did the cap piece. And I do love that braiding. :clapping:

Crystal

WOW, WOW, WOW! Totally AWESOME, Tom! Geez, I'm at a loss for words. Super great job!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Tom, this looks awesome!!! I can see that it was a lot of work and I sure hope you got paid well for it.

The color scheme is spot on. Very tastefully done. Love the initials on the handle and handle design. The

tooled name adds a perfect touch. And the tooled fish and cast line are a sweet touch as well.

Ya made me proud with your basket weave lacing. :)

Some suggestions, if you don't mind.

The braiding over the catch loop on the case cover...too much underpinning to cover with that size lace. I don't think

wider lace would look good. So, perhaps working up another way to attach the loop would be in order for the next one.

(very nice work on the loop braid, btw!) One way would be to make 2 holes in the cover above the catch, run your braid through them. The holes should be of a diameter that will provide sufficient friction to hold the loop on the catch when drawn tight. It's a simple idea that's been around a long time. (or reverse it...catch on the cap and holes in the case.)

Another thought on the round braid. Time to learn some knots, my friend. :) A simple terminal turk's head will finish off

your braid nicely. And if you're of a mind, cover the turk's head with another knot. ;)

I've included a pic of a terminal turk's head.

Keep up the excellent work, Tom. I love what you're doing!!!

TerminalTurksHead.jpg

post-6209-1208486990_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hedge

Thanks alot you guys!

Myriam, did you try this red/black theme yet? Planning to make a tutorial on that with the ladies purse project I have on my desk. Just gotta figure out how to di it first. Another from the scratch project I have.

Hedge, Thank you so much.

I actually thought I'd be getting more coverage over the top braid but here we are. In the initial stage I did consider to bring the chord into the cap like you say with two holes but I wanted a big fat border for that fish so I just went on top with it.

Going reversed is a good idea. Next cap will have a completely different type of solution and the one after that will have no cap at all I think. Won't be posting much on that before getting to the makings but i got some idea of how it'll b done and a customer for it.

Back to this one, i got some good money for it even though a friend price tag on it. Considering the time I got into I'd be be better off doing overtime at the papermill, lol. Well first items and developing stuff is lot's of time at the drawing table. Lining up the 500+ holes on the spinal braid took some time, ehh.

I did consider a turks knot but haven't got any good explanation of it. Found one on a pdf sheet posted here but it showed just one strand so I didn't figure it out (I suppose one takes all four strands together as one) and also gotta check with my friend before putting any more into the knot to see where he'd like to take it.

Thanks for your input I really appreciate it, you're a wise man I think! :notworthy:

Tom

Swede! WOW! The colors, textures, lacing, and lettering are all awesome! Fantastic job! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thank you Scouter!

Glad you liked it!

Tom