Sign in to follow this  
Tina

How do I know?

I would like to have lining in some holster and want to be sure they're not chrome tanned, how will I know? Is the some special way to see/feel or something?

Greatful for any input//Tina

Chrome tanned leather typically has a gray or gray/white center and doesn't case worth a dang. For lining, I'd suggest some really thin (skived down even) leather like 1-2 oz vegtan. Or, alternately you could consider pigskin, but I've heard some comments that it grabs at the weapon making draws quite a bit slower.

Chrome tanned leather typically has a gray or gray/white center and doesn't case worth a dang. For lining, I'd suggest some really thin (skived down even) leather like 1-2 oz vegtan. Or, alternately you could consider pigskin, but I've heard some comments that it grabs at the weapon making draws quite a bit slower.

Great input Super Thanks:-)

I have the Al stohlmans book about making holsters and he suggest as lining, garment leather, suede or veg tan (if I remeber correctly). I have rather a few garment type leathers at home and I was hoping to be able to use some them...But i need to get the hang of the chrome thingie cuz if i understand it right, that will destroy the weapon?

The chromium salts can have an adverse affect on metals, garment leather uses a different taning process so it should be safe. If the leather shows the same colour at the edge when you cut it it's not chrome tanned

Great Thanks:-)

Now I'm going to run up to the hobby room and cut some leather:-)