Sign in to follow this  
flaminghranch

Rookie @ work.

This is the first leather work I've ever done. Was asked to try for a halter client, so I bought a starter kit from Tandy. I drew the logo, read Tandy's book and I got this. Please pick it apart and advise how I could have made it better. In any case I at least tried "RIGHT".

Nosebands_002.JPG

roo__4.jpg

roo_e_2.jpg

Nosebands_002.JPG

roo__4.jpg

roo_e_2.jpg

post-10549-1242473992_thumb.jpg

post-10549-1242474170_thumb.jpg

post-10549-1242474188_thumb.jpg

And you done right!!! Looks very nice, good job.....

...ya know, that horse aint's gonna like it tho, if it smells like cigarette smoke..... :eusa_naughty:

And you done right!!! Looks very nice, good job.....

...ya know, that horse aint's gonna like it tho, if it smells like cigarette smoke..... :eusa_naughty:

Your right, I'll have to work on that part. My wife agrees with you, I've been doing it a long time and it's not set deep in my heart to quit yet.

At the moment I'd rather die happy and smoking than give up on the smokes but I do smoke outside my home.

Looking good that halter, I'm no expert on horsestuff but you're on your way with the tooling and colouring part. No one is a pro from start with this but looks like you got it down well for your first. The basketweave stamping impressions suggests that your leather might have been a bit to dry ot too moist when stamping.

Too dry and it is hard to make the impression and too moist you may get the impression down ok but when it dryes up the leather will loose some detail of that impression.

Casing the leather can be tricky even with lots of experience.

Glad to see your work, keep it up!!

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

Thats awesome, for being your first peice of leather you ever worked :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Later Greg

At the moment I'd rather die happy and smoking than give up on the smokes but I do smoke outside my home.

Looking good that halter, I'm no expert on horsestuff but you're on your way with the tooling and colouring part. No one is a pro from start with this but looks like you got it down well for your first. The basketweave stamping impressions suggests that your leather might have been a bit to dry ot too moist when stamping.

Too dry and it is hard to make the impression and too moist you may get the impression down ok but when it dryes up the leather will loose some detail of that impression.

Casing the leather can be tricky even with lots of experience.

Glad to see your work, keep it up!!

Tom

Thanks for the help on basket weaving. It seemed that I was hitting the tool very hard, but very little impression would show. It really bothered me why I couldn't get it to stand out.

Also, I saw you are interested in dying, the biggest deal is to start with a very light color and darken that color. It requires to much dye to lighten a dark color. Also use sable brushes, that's the best advise ever.

Again, THANKS for the tip.

This is the first leather work I've ever done. Was asked to try for a halter client, so I bought a starter kit from Tandy. I drew the logo, read Tandy's book and I got this. Please pick it apart and advise how I could have made it better. In any case I at least tried "RIGHT".

So that's what that hook is for. I got one of those metal halter tie hooks ( like you used here) included by accident in an order of rope and I have never figured out what it was for, I guess I know now.

Just goes to prove you never know who you're going to learn from. Thanks for teaching me something.

David

BTW, great halter and nice first leather project.