Sign in to follow this  
SOSHorses

smoothing out suede leather

is there something you can put on suede to seal over the nap and make it smoother. I have a suede seat on a saddle and I would like to slick it over with something but I do not know what to use.

I tried to dye the leather to make it darker and the color is transferring back to my jeans (still) so I was hoping that if I sealed the nap over it would stop this. I really didn't want a suede seat to begin with so I am not attached to the idea of the grip.

Well, I'll you that anyone who makes a saddle with a suede seat ain't never worked cattle! Take that from someone who spent most of his youth doing just that.

As you figured out (the hard way)dyeing suede is a bad idea. I'm not passing judgement mind you, we've all goofed up at some time or the other and paid for it.

The bad news is that the suede is there to stay and all that will smooth it out is wear and tear, (unless somebody has discovered something new.)However, you might try an old style door knob, you know, them what's white and smooth. Try rubbing the suede with it while applying a little water with a spray bottle.

I hope this helps.

Jim

The only time I have smoothed suede is for edging and I use some bees wax then burnish and it smooths out pretty good.

I know on a few projects I have gotten sno seal on it and that portion lays down some. May try something like picards, snoseal, bees natural lp. Something like that may take alot of the fluffy out of the suede.

As Jim stated alot of use will eventually rub the top layer off and make it pretty smooth. Speaking of that you may try on some scraps taking fine sand paper to it then burnishing it like Jim mentioned. May do the trick.

It is actual suede.