Sign in to follow this  
BigRiverLeather

Hermann Oak Leather Choices From Springfield

Hermann Oak choices  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which cut do you use?

I'm going to give Hermann Oak a shot and since I'm not buying in bulk, it looks like Springfield should be my go to supplier.

What is your preferred cut of concealed carry holsters, mostly wet molding, not much tooling other than hand boning. I know the weights I need for different applications, but which cut do you like from them out of the following

Backs

Double Shoulder

Sides

I talked to them yesterday and with their help I am leaning towards the back, not much belly, fairly clean etc.

What say you?

Wow, so far 3 votes for shoulders and 3 for sides, but none for backs which she recommended to me. Hmm...

Wow, so far 3 votes for shoulders and 3 for sides, but none for backs which she recommended to me. Hmm...

I recently ordered some Herman Oak from Springfield. Granted, I'm a total newb at this, so take my opinion with a grain of salt... but the 7/8oz double shoulder I received was pretty nice leather. Perfect thickness, very workable, and very few blemishes. Of course I don't really have anything to compare it to, but it's worked out well for me so far.

Now if I could just get the dying, burnishing, and stitching down I'd be all set ;)

Just a note. The closer you get to the belly the more stretch you will get. For belts and holders, I like to stick with the upper portion of the hide, towards the back. Shoulders are okay for me. I have seen a lot of stretch marks aroudn the shoulder. But then again, I like these characteristics, especially, when they are finished. It adds a nice texture.

I have bought my hides from Stevenson Paxton at $99 a side and I have yet to be dissatisfied with S&P leather in Corona, CA.

Now, I have also bought some of Springfield Leather (special listed in the banner above) Hermann Oak, cost a bit more, but great customer service.

Good luck

I'm going to give Hermann Oak a shot and since I'm not buying in bulk, it looks like Springfield should be my go to supplier.

What is your preferred cut of concealed carry holsters, mostly wet molding, not much tooling other than hand boning. I know the weights I need for different applications, but which cut do you like from them out of the following

Backs

Double Shoulder

Sides

I talked to them yesterday and with their help I am leaning towards the back, not much belly, fairly clean etc.

What say you?

I did not vote...lol. So far I have not made up my mind completely. I have used shoulders and sides, but recently ordered my first back. I too am leaning towards backs for the size and density. I want to find "the good cut" that will be most versitile for me. I have added belts to my menu (not on my website yet) and would like to be able to make holsters and belts from the same cuts to cut down on space, time, overhead...Let me know how you decide.

Carl

My vote is for sides, that is what I use the most of. But I do not do holster work exclusivly. I do all kinds of leather work. I do like HO the best for making holsters as it is a firmer leather and holds the holster shape better than other. But you will find some hard spots because of that. It makes it hard to cut sometimes. I would not use the shoulders as there seems to be alot or waste around the neck area. The best buy would be the backs as most will be usable and you will have some good strap material for belts etc. I use the sides and the bellies are used for the kids in my 4-H classes to practice on so mot much goes to waste. You can trust the folks at Springfield, just tell them what you are making and what grade you can afford.

RC