Heath Herring

Where To Purchase American Made Hardware Online?

Hello,

I've been trying to find a supplier to order american made hardware from. Preferably hardware with matte and/or antique brass finish. But mainly just looking for hardware made in the United States. I do a lot of strap and belt making, so I'm looking for American-made rivets, split key rings, o rings, d rings, reducing loops, buckles, etc. I have no idea where to look. Google hasn't been any help. There are no local manufactures in my area. The owner of www.TapAndDye.com uses all American hardware, so I know it's out there. I asked him, but never heard back. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

ohio bag

Wasn't aware that OTB's hardware was made in the US. All of it or only some items?

not sure any more call them call montana leather best speed single cap rivets i've ever used. through out 1000's of some others that never set right always left a burr. same as mcphersons in portland brothers

this make any cents

Awesome! Thanks for the advice.

To answer your question, most of the stuff otb sells is asian. But then again, a lot of the stuff in the Amish catalogs people recommended is also asian, so.......good luck. I'd rather use American made too, but for now I've been settling for Abbey England. Most of their hardware is made in the UK.

Edited by 25b

Thanks 25b! I'll check that out as well.

Edited by Heath Herring

If you have ever been to an Asian foundry, it is comparable to monkeys with machine guns; they get the job done, but there are a lot of casualties on both sides. OTB has good jiffy rivets, made in Belgium, and I have used a fair amount of their buckles and rings over the last few years, and they are good quality (the SS ones). Anyone's tubular rivets are just fine, I use Weaver, probably Asian. Always buy burr rivets (technically belt rivets) from the same source or be careful not to mix sources as they vary widely in spec, I use R.J. Leahy and they may be U.S. but you would have to ask. Anymore, it is hard to find sourcing for U.S. made hardware. Find what works and stick with it, that's what is important.

Art

I've been buying my buckles lately from Buckleguy.com. They are a US company but own their factory in China, so I'm assuming quality control for them is easy. Everything is really nice, solid brass in four colors.

As Art stated, good luck finding anything hardware related made right here. It's too cost prohibitive. I've found too that just because something is made in China doesn't mean it's crap.

OTB catalog (online) still not much use. They have some nice looking stuff, but I'm just not going to look in one place for the item and somewhere else for the price. Thought they were taking care of that, but maybe I took that wrong (still useless as of yesterday).

Posted Today, 03:11 PM

Chigago screws and sam browne studs made in USA:
http://www.usbind.co...buttonheadstuds

Very cool! This is what I'm talking about. Thank you for this link. Any leads on split rings; like key ring style? Looking for all American made parts.

Chigago screws and sam browne studs made in USA:

http://www.usbind.com/collections/buttonheadstuds

Thanks!

I know for a fact that Hillside Harness 4205 Township Road 629 Millersburg, Ohio 44654 is a manufacturer of brass and other types of hardware.

His phone number is 330 893-fifteen ten. Fax is 330 698 thirty two hundred. It is an Amish shop with a very nice gentleman running it.

Most of our hardware is imported (as is basically everyone's). It is hard to even find hardware made in the US anymore. I get requests for it and its tough to find. Then most people don't want to pay for it in the end anyway.

Most of our 104 tubular rivets (all but the SS I believe) are made in the USA. Our copper and brass rivets and burrs are also made in the US, actually at a local machine shop right down the road.

Hillside does have a brass foundry on site, I don't believe they manufacture a lot of hardware anymore, but they will do it on request. Most of the hardware they sell is imported as well.

Any specific questions on any of our hardware let me know via PM and I will try to get answers to you.

I just posted a review of Rome Fastener before I saw this topic. They make everything in the USA and I'm pretty pleased with the quality, but ordering is an interesting experience. My review:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=67992

You can find USA made split rings (steel and brass) at:

http://www.keyring.com/

They have lots of sizes and flavors. I'll be ordering from them as soon as my current supply of key rings gets low.

Good luck, it seemingly takes the entire leatherworking community to dig up the remaining domestic suppliers these days...

Edited by eby