badger

Modern Saddler's machine

I'm in the market for a heavy duty sewing machine in the UK.

It would be a cylinder arm machine, with a reverse function and adjustable stitch length. It should be really heavy duty, like a Pro 2000 or a Highlead GA2688

I need something capable of sewing thick and thin leather without complex adjustment and with a high footlift, capable of sewing 18 or 19mm leather at a push.

It needs to be very, very reliable and a neat and tidy stitcher.

You know, the moon on a stick :lol:

Anybody have any suggestions? I don't have a whole lot of money and would probably need a used and/or reconditioned machine.

Many thanks,

Badger

Do you have access to Claes?

I loved mine and I think it would do everything that you needed it to do, including drain your wallet.

Ben

What, given up on the 'Pilot' already Karl? I guess the needles didn't help then?

Steve

Edited by SteveBrambley

I don't, Ben.

Steve,

Never give up on the Pilot, I love it. Turns out I had a 26 in it already :lol:

Your handy needle chart is pinned to my workroom wall now, though. Thank you.

I really do want something with a reverse though, it'll make my workflow much smoother and totally cuts out the entire process of finishing stitching runs by hand.

I also want something with a higher footlift.

Badger

The only other machines available in the UK, that I know of, other than the Highlead GA2688-1, are the Typical TW3-441 (which is the machine I use, and is virtually identical to the Highlead) the Adler/Durkopp 205-370 and the SEIKO CH-8B. You may be able to find one of these machines used or recond, but you will certainly have to hunt about quite a bit. The Highlead and the Typical are both relatively cheap to buy new and therefore should be cheaper used, however, the Adler and the Seiko are quite expensive to buy new, and so tend to fetch higher prices used. The latest Adler/Durkopp are now made in China, and I believe David Flint is an agent for them.

All three machines are shown in the photos below.

Steve

typical_tw3_441.jpg Durkopp_Adler_205_370.jpg Seiko_CH_8B.jpg

Seiko_CH_8B.jpg

Durkopp_Adler_205_370.jpg

typical_tw3_441.jpg

post-7482-1244068647_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1244068719_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1244068840_thumb.jpg

.... The latest Adler/Durkopp are now made in China, ....

Well... slight correction. Adler is owned by a Chinese company and many of there basic line (ECO series etc.) are now Chinese made. The Adler 205-370, other heavy sewing machines and advanced sewing machines are still made in the Czech republic.

SEIKO makes a good product (CH8B) and they are still Japanese made. The Seiko should sell for less than the Adler. We've sold both over the years.

I've come across this website, they seem to be selling a 441 clone and used machines as well - http://www.hartleysewingmachines.co.uk/products.php?id=8

I've also seen an Adler 205 clone branded as Jason here - http://www.sewquick.co.uk/ This place also has a used Singer 45B on their website, which is not a machine you hear much about, looks like a Seiko though.

There's a used Jason here, but you might be paying extra for the synchro binder http://www.cthompsonsewingmachines.co.uk/stock/

Neil

Well... slight correction. Adler is owned by a Chinese company and many of there basic line (ECO series etc.) are now Chinese made. The Adler 205-370, other heavy sewing machines and advanced sewing machines are still made in the Czech republic.

SEIKO makes a good product (CH8B) and they are still Japanese made. The Seiko should sell for less than the Adler. We've sold both over the years.

Thanks for that, I have obviously been mis-informed.

Steve

Neil,

Thanks very much indeed.

Badger

Badger i would go for the Adler 205-370 at Hartley sewing machine.

I M H O ...

Thank you very much for your advice and input.

Especially poor Steve Brambley for letting me bend his ear all afternoon :lol:

I just bought the Singer from Sew-quick, thanks Neil!

It doesn't just look like a Seiko, it's a Seiko CH8 with a Singer badge on it.

I'm very pleased.

Cheers,

Badger

Hi Steve,

The Typical TW3-441 is not identical to the Highlead GA2688-1. Both the Highlead and the Seiko are very robust machines, their prices usually reflect this.

The Highlead GA2688-1

Highlead_GA2688_1.bmp

The Typical is made by Zhiqiang and is a 441 clone.

Art

The only other machines available in the UK, that I know of, other than the Highlead GA2688-1, are the Typical TW3-441 (which is the machine I use, and is virtually identical to the Highlead) the Adler/Durkopp 205-370 and the SEIKO CH-8B. You may be able to find one of these machines used or recond, but you will certainly have to hunt about quite a bit. The Highlead and the Typical are both relatively cheap to buy new and therefore should be cheaper used, however, the Adler and the Seiko are quite expensive to buy new, and so tend to fetch higher prices used. The latest Adler/Durkopp are now made in China, and I believe David Flint is an agent for them.

All three machines are shown in the photos below.

Steve

typical_tw3_441.jpg Durkopp_Adler_205_370.jpg Seiko_CH_8B.jpg

Highlead_GA2688_1.bmp

Highlead_GA2688_1.bmp

Good going Badger. I wasn't sure if they'd still have the Singer, it must have been 12 - 18 months since I first saw it on that site. Hope it serves you well. Would you be willing to tell us what that much sewing machine costs in the UK :)

A Seiko badged as a Singer, when did that start? The specs are listed here - http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/webdoc1/singer/45b.htm

Neil

Neil,

Big thanks to you for pointing me in the right direction on this.

I had a conversation the day before yesterday with the infinitely patient Steve Brambley. I'd told him I needed a contemporary machine which cater to all my sewing needs in one package. Steve knows the kind of work I do very well.

I'd mentioned the words 'ideal world' and 'if money were no object' and he'd said 'Seiko CH 8' without hesitation.

'Course, this is dreamy time. I'll never be able to afford a Seiko, the Swiss watch of leather sewing machines. I was resigned to having to settle for a 'Typical' or a similar machine, due to budget.

As I'm prone to do, I spent time drooling over pics of a CH 8 and got familiar with it.

I saw your reply to the thread and followed the lead to quick-sew, intrigued that you mentioned a Singer which looked like a Seiko. Francis and Sue are lovely people.

Although marked as a Singer 45B, it has a 'made in Japan' sticker and comes from the Seiko factory. It's a Seiko CH 8.

The machine came from the original owner, Falmouth University, who bought it new. It has the needle position motor sytem already installed and looks to be in very good shape indeed.

The University traded it for some lesser machines because their new health and safety policy stated the machine was dangerous and the students could get hurt using it, so it had to go!

The machine, complete with the needle position motor, stand, and delivery is 1,800.00 Pounds Sterling.

I got a deal!

Now, does anyone have, or have access to, an owner/user manual for a Singer 45B8BC and/or a Seiko CH-8B?

Cheers,

Badger

Hi Steve,

The Typical TW3-441 is not identical to the Highlead GA2688-1. Both the Highlead and the Seiko are very robust machines, their prices usually reflect this.

The Highlead GA2688-1

Highlead_GA2688_1.bmp

The Typical is made by Zhiqiang and is a 441 clone.

Art

Thanks Art.

Cunning people these Chinese!

Just thought I should add that, several years ago, when we were in desperate need of a heavy duty, cylinder machine, I wanted to get hold of a new Seiko CH-8V. However, at the time, there were none in the country and delivery of the next batch was 3 months! So, we were offered the 'Typical' as an alternative, the added advantage being it was considerably cheaper. I was not entirely convinced, but we were in great need and we could have one within a few weeks; that's how I ended up using the Typical. I have found it remarkably reliable, so far, even when the check spring broke, after considerable use, it still stitched faultlessly!

However, even after saying all that, I still would have preferred the Seiko!

Steve

Edited by SteveBrambley

Good going Badger. I wasn't sure if they'd still have the Singer, it must have been 12 - 18 months since I first saw it on that site. Hope it serves you well. Would you be willing to tell us what that much sewing machine costs in the UK :)

A Seiko badged as a Singer, when did that start? The specs are listed here - http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/webdoc1/singer/45b.htm

Neil

Funny games must be played with the manufacturers from time to time. I have a Seiko SK8, which I bought about 15 years ago and it is identical to a Singer 132k6 and although it is badged Seiko, many parts in it are stamped "Simanco". Perhaps Singer and Seiko may have supplied each other with bodies and parts from time to time.

Tony.

According to Francis, the guy who sold me the machine, Singer wanted to introduce a more contemporary heavy duty machine and simply contracted the Seiko factory to produce the '45B' on their CH-8 production line.

As far as I can tell, and I've looked into this a bit, the Singer 45B is a Seiko CH-8. Different paint job, nothing more.

Does anyone have an idea where I can find accessories like presser feet and roller guides and things?

Cheers,

Badger

Karl

I should think the best place to start in the UK would be http://www.college-sewing.co.uk/acatalog/index.html or Bogod Machine Co (who don't seem to have a website).

Terry

According to Francis, the guy who sold me the machine, Singer wanted to introduce a more contemporary heavy duty machine and simply contracted the Seiko factory to produce the '45B' on their CH-8 production line.

As far as I can tell, and I've looked into this a bit, the Singer 45B is a Seiko CH-8. Different paint job, nothing more.

Does anyone have an idea where I can find accessories like presser feet and roller guides and things?

Cheers,

Badger

I had also heard Singer industrial contracted machines through Seiko before they shut down the industrial line. Since Singer machines are so common, and many Seiko models interchange with Singer parts, most replacement parts are less expensive than other name brands.

We make custom attachments for the Seiko CH8B and 7B, including guides, needle plates, and presser feet.

I was just about to ask about availability of needle plates for the Seiko CH8B.

I had also heard Singer industrial contracted machines through Seiko before they shut down the industrial line. Since Singer machines are so common, and many Seiko models interchange with Singer parts, most replacement parts are less expensive than other name brands.

We make custom attachments for the Seiko CH8B and 7B, including guides, needle plates, and presser feet.

Thank you so much for your time and indulgence everyone.

I really appreciate and recognize the importance of the resource of this board.

Many, many thanks,

Badger

Now, does anyone have, or have access to, an owner/user manual for a Singer 45B8BC and/or a Seiko CH-8B?

Cheers,

Badger

Karl,

I MAY have a manuel but not actually sure. I use a CH8 BV which is the binder version of your machine.Will have a good look round to see if I can find something.Hows the BU No 6 project ???

Keith

Hi Kieth!

The Number 6 project is on the backburner, but alive and well.

The old girl will ride again, fear not. Been busy with work.

I'd appreciate a photocopy of the manual if you wouldn't mind.

Cheers,

Badger

Seiko SK-8 and the Singer are out of production. The leftover with interchangable components is the Newlong Industrial DD-5 (not Newlong Machine Works, they stopped making this machine)

You can find it here

http://www.sewingpartsexpress.com/dd-5/

The machine is about 2500 euros when ordering it.Good machine and the only one available at this moment as the model is old but the Free feed mechanism and the heavy duty aspect makes this excellent for leather but also for connecting layers of belts or making it part of a CNC computer controlled mechanism.

It is all quite simple. the 'k' in 45k stands for Kilbowie Scotland where singer made many machines. When it closed that factory down it simply bought the machines from subcontractors in Japan and used the letter 'B'. When Singer decided to abandon machines like the 132 and 45 the Japanese kept building them.

Many of the old Singer models are now built in China and to a lesser extent Taiwan. At least one Indian company still builds 45k's and many build the 31, 103 and 132 amongst others. Singer themselves rebadge some of the Indian machines as Singer, Merritt (his middle name) or Regnis (SInger backwards).

Cheers,

Badger