Ghostc4

2-Ply Dog Collar

I am interested in making dog collars but the only information on dog collars I can find is ones that are made from a single layer of leather. I am looking for help on making a 2-ply dog collar, the point I am at now is I have a hand sewing set and that's it, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

I am interested in making dog collars but the only information on dog collars I can find is ones that are made from a single layer of leather. I am looking for help on making a 2-ply dog collar, the point I am at now is I have a hand sewing set and that's it, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ghost,

I don't do many dog collars... so take this for what it's worth...

Just finished this one up for my sister's boxer. Two strips of horsehide, flesh sides glued together, sanded until the edges are even and smooth, with rivets added for extra support.

Pretty simple, and the rivets will save you a TON of time as opposed to sewing by hand. ;)

post-13450-008075200 1331525944_thumb.jp

Ghost,

I don't do many dog collars... so take this for what it's worth...

Just finished this one up for my sister's boxer. Two strips of horsehide, flesh sides glued together, sanded until the edges are even and smooth, with rivets added for extra support.

Pretty simple, and the rivets will save you a TON of time as opposed to sewing by hand. ;)

What was the weight of the leather you used and what was the reasoning behind using horse hide? The reason I ask is because, my biggest hang-up right now is figuring out what weight of leather to use and what type of leather.

Edited by Ghostc4

What was the weight of the leather you used and what was the reasoning behind using horse hide? The reason I ask is because, my biggest hang-up right now is figuring out what weight of leather to use and what type of leather.

I just used a $12 horse butt from Springfield Leather. I believe the thickness varies from 6-7 oz ... but they tend to thin out towards the ends. I used this to my advantage! I cut the two strips and intentionally tried to match up the thin parts at the end where the buckle would be.

If you order horsehide from Springfield, I would give them a call... tell them what you're using it for and see if the can put a straight edge on one side. It will make your strap cutting much easier ;)

ETA - I used horsehide because it is tough as nails, it was the right size and weight for what I wanted... plus IMHO it is easier to get a nice slick edge on it.

Edited by Sixer

I've been experimenting with two ply handstitched dog collars recently, before that I was just making single ply collars held together with screws. For both types of collars I start with either 9 - 11oz latigo or 8 - 9oz bridle and split it if I making the 2 ply. The 2 ply handstitched definitely takes more work and planning, and it's debatable if it's worth it, but IMO it looks nicer. Some customers have commented that the one ply collars might by too rough for their dog but my nearly hairless chihuahua doesn't seem bothered by it. I posted a bow tie collar in the critique thread if you want to check it and ask me something more specific?