shadowryder

Got Me An Old Machine

Well i picked me up an old Singer machine from my local cobbler who is semi-retiring,Its a 29k71 which i believe is what they call a "patcher"

I paid a hundred english pounds for it which i am lead to believe is a bargain price,looking at similar on ebay for 300 to750 english pounds..

It has not been used for quite a while so i have given it a clean up,downloaded some instructions off Google and YEEEHAH i got it stitching.

Its working not too bad on vinyl and thin to medium leather,but thread snaps on a reglar basis so i still not got something quite right,but

i shall persevere although any help or advice would be gratefully received.

would apreciate advice on correct threads etc please.

cheers

JJ.

Photo0143.jpg

Nice catch on the patcher and awesome trike!

Make sure you thread the machine properly (did cobbler show you how to thread and load bobbin?).

I have a long arm version of that machine and can tell you that it sews with up to #138 thread. But, it goes farther with #69 thread. Less strain on the moving parts with #69, or even #92.

Tell us where the thread is breaking and we'll try to diagnose the problem here.

Might could be old worn out thread, or needle too small for thread.

A close up photo of the needle area, with the cover plate open and closed will help. An open cover plate photo should be taken with the needle down and just beginning to ascend.

Oh man! What a deal!! Wish I could find something like that.

Do send Wiz the pictures he requested, he'll get you sorted.

Well i picked me up an old Singer machine from my local cobbler who is semi-retiring,Its a 29k71 which i believe is what they call a "patcher"

I paid a hundred english pounds for it which i am lead to believe is a bargain price,looking at similar on ebay for 300 to750 english pounds..

It has not been used for quite a while so i have given it a clean up,downloaded some instructions off Google and YEEEHAH i got it stitching.

Its working not too bad on vinyl and thin to medium leather,but thread snaps on a reglar basis so i still not got something quite right,but

i shall persevere although any help or advice would be gratefully received.

would apreciate advice on correct threads etc please.

cheers

JJ.

Photo0143.jpg

Hi, no unfortunately he did not tell me anything other than the machine has not been used for many years but did work "great" way back then

I have managed to find a instruction booklet/workshop manual in PDF form so i have downoaded and printed it and at the moment i am pootling around with that,I am on my way out to the workshop soon so will take some photos and put them on later,the thread i am using is brand new "extra strong" thread,and i only have the one needle which were already in it..

thanks for the advice

JJ.

{thanks for 'Comps' on my trike,}

Make sure you thread the machine properly (did cobbler show you how to thread and load bobbin?).

Tell us where the thread is breaking and we'll try to diagnose the problem here.

A close up photo of the needle area, with the cover plate open and closed will help. An open cover plate photo should be taken with the needle down and just beginning to ascend.

Edited by shadowryder

I have a long arm version of that machine and can tell you that it sews with up to #138 thread. But, it goes farther with #69 thread. Less strain on the moving parts with #69, or even #92.

Hi Wiz,

The thread is actually snapping in or near the needle,and when it does not snap i am getting the type of stitch shown in the pics,the tensioners are a bit rusty but i cleaned them with wirewool and put oil on em,

Anyhow heres the pics, .hope they are some use

th_Photo0151.jpg

th_Photo0150.jpg

th_Photo0149.jpg

th_Photo0152.jpg

th_Photo0157.jpg

Did manage to stitch this out of some 2mm leather LOL!!!

th_Photo0156.jpg

Thanks for your help..

JJ

If those loops of thread are on the bottom, I suspect that either the bobbin spring is way too tight, or the top tensioner disks are not being allowed to press together all the way, under spring pressure, during sewing.

Check to make sure that when you lower the presser foot lift lever, that the disks close all the way. You may need to increase the presser foot top pressure to get the mechanism to drop down under the flange on the thread tension cup, over the disks.

If the lift parts are not moving freely, remove them if possible and clean them. Then apply sewing machine oil to help closing parts close all the way.

If those loops of thread are on the bottom, I suspect that either the bobbin spring is way too tight, or the top tensioner disks are not being allowed to press together all the way, under spring pressure, during sewing.

Check to make sure that when you lower the presser foot lift lever, that the disks close all the way. You may need to increase the presser foot top pressure to get the mechanism to drop down under the flange on the thread tension cup, over the disks.

If the lift parts are not moving freely, remove them if possible and clean them. Then apply sewing machine oil to help closing parts close all the way.

Hi wiz,

Thanks very much for this info,You_Rock_Emoticon.gifI will do some more cleaning and experimenting with tensions etc,

Yeah the loops are on the bottom as the work goes thru the machine and sometimes smaller loops on the top,but sometimes the top stitches look fine,

I have bought today from an upholster friend of mine a reel of commercial thread which also is not so easy to snap so will see if that helps also..

Thanks again buddy,

laters

JJ.

Well i been fiddling with this machine for 2 days now,i think i got tensions somewhere near but when i start stitching i get 8 or 10 good stitches then i feel the mechanism jam for a second and when the machine jumps past it the needle kicks on to the foot and snags the thread snapping it.

This is a definite tight feel when it kicks back and i cannot figure what is causing it,

Any suggestions gratefully accepted please.

Cheers

JJ.

Check the hook for burrs. Feel with your finger and if there are any burrs or rough spots, polish them out with crocus cloth or some similar sandpaper. Put paper under to catch any abrasive or filings/swarf. Sometimes when you are muscling a piece of leather, the needle will bend and strike the hook, this causes the burr and the thread will stick to the burr when trying to come off the hook. Thread should move through the needle hole effortlessly.

Art

Well i been fiddling with this machine for 2 days now,i think i got tensions somewhere near but when i start stitching i get 8 or 10 good stitches then i feel the mechanism jam for a second and when the machine jumps past it the needle kicks on to the foot and snags the thread snapping it.

This is a definite tight feel when it kicks back and i cannot figure what is causing it,

Any suggestions gratefully accepted please.

Cheers

JJ.

Check the hook for burrs. Feel with your finger and if there are any burrs or rough spots, polish them out with crocus cloth or some similar sandpaper. Put paper under to catch any abrasive or filings/swarf. Sometimes when you are muscling a piece of leather, the needle will bend and strike the hook, this causes the burr and the thread will stick to the burr when trying to come off the hook. Thread should move through the needle hole effortlessly.

Art

Done this and the other advice that has been given me thanks folks,,

Unfortunately i am still not working with this machine,deadsubject.gifdeadsubject.gif

Still have the jam and thread snap every 8 t0 10 stitches, have fitted a brand new needle and bobbin,

I am using and can feel it on the hand wheel when this is gonna happen but if i back off slowly and go at it again i can get it to work without snapping!!sometimes!!.surrender.gif

But even when i can get past this the machine will only do one stitch here and there but not constant in any way,

In a 6 inch sew i am getting gaps and long loops in the stitches so there will only be 10 to14 proper stitches in that length,

SORRY to keep going on,blahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gif

help please?????/?//

its driving me nuts..

cheers

JJ.

If you take the bobbincase out how much play to the left & right does the shuttle driver have?Sometimes the little screw in the gear loosens up & needs to be tightened up,or the gears could be worn out.

Bob

If you take the bobbincase out how much play to the left & right does the shuttle driver have?Sometimes the little screw in the gear loosens up & needs to be tightened up,or the gears could be worn out.

Bob

Hi have removed the bobbincase, there is approx 1/8th to1/4 inch movement each way on the shuttle,

today i got a perfect line of stitching for 11 or12 stitches and then i felt the handle go tight as i tried to work it through tt the next stitch i heard a metal on metal clunk and the thread snapped.whatdoyouthink.gif

I really would like to get this going myself but fear i might have to put it into the shop and thats 45 bucks an hour i cannot afford right now.

Thanks for all and any help and advice given it is much apreciated,

JJ

That's the problem to much play ,so mewhere,If you look at the bottom on the back side where the flat gear comes out of the arm,the slot on the backside that's were you shine a torch into & turn the machine around & look for thre little hole in the gearthat's were the screw is you might have to clean out the hiole to get at it,tighten it & see if that helps.

Hi have removed the bobbincase, there is approx 1/8th to1/4 inch movement each way on the shuttle,

today i got a perfect line of stitching for 11 or12 stitches and then i felt the handle go tight as i tried to work it through tt the next stitch i heard a metal on metal clunk and the thread snapped.whatdoyouthink.gif

I really would like to get this going myself but fear i might have to put it into the shop and thats 45 bucks an hour i cannot afford right now.

JJ

This happened to me on my previous Singer 29-4 patcher. The thread was getting pulled under the shuttle plate, rather than under the bobbin case. The eye of the needle was too low. I solved the problem by substituting shorter industrial needles for the 29x3 and 29x4 that I bought for the machine. Bob Kovar later suggested that perhaps a needle had broken off just above the needle locking screw (after being overtightened) and was jammed inside the needle mounting hole - above the lock screw.

I don't have that machine anymore to check it. But, you could take off the needle mounting tab, unscrew the needle locking screw, remove the needle and tap it on a hard surface. Maybe, just maybe, a broken top of a needle will fall out and your needles will have the correct length.

Otherwise, the slop in the bobbin drive gears may the the culprit.

Other things to try:

• Move the needle mount closer to the right of the hole. Loosen the screw above the needle locking screw and push the mount to the right, then tighten that screw.
  • Lower the needle bar all the way, then shine a flashlight up it on the outside. Look for a paddle shaped spring above the needle mounting bracket. If that paddle is broken, of twisted, or no longer making direct contact with the thread, it will cause skipped stitches.
  • Change the needle
  • Make sure the needle is threaded from left to right.

JJ

JJ:

Talk to the man at the shop. Ask him to come visit you on the weekend and if He agrees to fix it on his own time... you will make him something in leather and take him for a pint or two at the pub. Do a little Bartering. Like for like, trade of services. There's always a way. Maybe he would like a set of leather saddle bags....or maybe he wants a "murse" or a leather "bum bag" who knows... I say ask because all he can do is say NO.