joban31

Problem With Eco-Flo Pro Ws Blue Dye

Hello all,

I'm new to world of leather work, and I've been experimenting with some different dyes on scrap before moving on to my actual project. The problem I've had with the blue dye is that it's turning green on me. Searching the forums here, I've found that this seems to be an issue with Tandy's Eco-Flo products. Before going back to my local Tandy store and claiming it's a bad batch of dye, I wanted to try and remedy the issue on my own. I haven't been doing any surface prep, since the video I watched didn't indicate this was necessary, so that's one thing I want to try

Oxalic acid, denatured alcohol, lemon juice and a weak bleach solution have all been mentioned as potential cleaning agents, with oxy acid being the most common. Barkeepers Friend has oxy acid as the active ingredient, and I have some at home - would that be an acceptable source of oxy acid, or would there be concern over inactive ingredients. Can anyone recommend a better source?

I also have some Angelus blue, which yields a much nicer color but seems a bit more fiddly to me than the Eco-Flo. I'd prefer a water based product for a variety of reasons, but right tool for the job and such. Denatured alcohol would be the spirit of choice to cut the angelus, correct?

Lastly, any other dye manufacturers I should look at besides Eco-Flo, Angelus and Fiebings?

Many thanks.

John

I'm fairly new to leatherwork myself -- only been doing it for 3.5 years. (Yes, I still consider myself a newbie as I'm having to learn things as I go.) But I hope I can be of some help.

The 3 dye brands you mentioned are also the ones I am familiar with. I believe you are right that denatured alcohol is good for cutting Angelus dyes, and possibly Fiebings as well, though I'm not sure on that. I don't know anything about oxalic acid, but perhaps my reply here will bump your post to the top so someone with more experience will see it.

Bar keeps friend has been mentioned in several threads as being a good source for oxalic acid. Paint stores too. Also pharmacies on special order.

Blue and yellow make green, so if there is a yellow cast to your leather, you will get a green hue. Bleaching with oxalic acid does lighten the shade of the leather. So may help. You need to test it to be sure.

Several layers of dye may help to hide the yellow under tone.

Or you could consider using an acrylic paint, like Angeus or Cova, or other. Thin the paint and build it up in thin layers. I was once told with Cova paints to add a drop or two of white glue to help it adhere and flex. Haven't tried it myself.

Tom

I've always used barkeeper's friend as said, I get it at Lowes, I think Home Depot carries it as well. I noticed that Springfield Leather has started selling "Leather Bleach" (says Oxyalic Acid right under the "Leather Bleach") in packets. May be a good source. I don't use it always, only when I have leather that has become dingy. Works well.

Chief