JanC

Possible To Change The Color Of These Boots?

I've had these for such a long time but never wear because they're too orange my liking. Thinking about dying a dark brown, if possible. The leather is drum-dyed.

Any suggestions on how to go about changing the color of these?

83c77e3b_DSC_8499.jpeg

I took some thinner, . . . wet down an old rag, . . . rubbed down my brown boots, . . . let em dry, . . . now I got black boots.

You need to get the wax off for sure, . . . and I had plenty on there, . . . plus whatever was the original factory finish, . . . it all came off with the thinner.

May God bless,

Dwight

I use deglazer to take the old finish off, usually do it twice to be sure it's all off, Then redye (Pro Oil dye), buff like crazy, dye again, buff again. Mine come out looking factory dyed.

I use deglazer to take the old finish off, usually do it twice to be sure it's all off, Then redye (Pro Oil dye), buff like crazy, dye again, buff again. Mine come out looking factory dyed.

I would love to see any photos you have of the finished product if you have them.

Going to give thinner/alcohol a try in place of Deglazer and the regular Leather Dye as I'm in California.

I've done exactly the same thing over the years with boots, knife sheaths, etc. Always professional results.

Also found this: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25883

Quick update.

One pass of dye complete. Still need to do the tongue and more touch ups at the welt. Obenauf LP when complete.

IMAG1203_zps8055c34b.jpg

I bought some denatured alcohol from Home Depot and found a seller on eBay that would ship Pro Oil Dye to CA.

Are you wanting the heels and soles brown? You should be able to redye them as well. At least I do, but I do use deglazer and pro oil dye. I don't know if the dye your using will work as good for that but it seems to be doing fine on the softer stuff. No I don't have any pictures sorry.

Great job! Those turned out awesome!

Thanks! Wearing them today and couldn't be happier. The Pro Oil Dye is some amazing stuff. I still have half of the small bottle left after this project!