I'm attempting my first pair of chaps and I'm having a horrible time tracing my pattern on the chap hide. I have tried chalk and pencil and both do not work well. What is your guys/gals secret to getting your pattern down properly?

Thanks

Merry Christmas

I'm attempting my first pair of chaps and I'm having a horrible time tracing my pattern on the chap hide. I have tried chalk and pencil and both do not work well. What is your guys/gals secret to getting your pattern down properly?

Thanks

Merry Christmas

On most hides I'm using "Sharpie's"...Black on bright colored hides and silver on very dark hides. I always use them on the flesh side.

For most leathers, a ball-point or gel pen on the flesh side works great.

For leathers that are impossible to make any kind of mark on (especially black leather), I cover the back with clear packing tape, then trace the pattern onto the back with a tracing stylus. The stylus makes an impression in the tape, just like a piece of cased veg-tan, and the line "darkens" as a result of the tape making better contact with the flesh side of the leather from the pressure of the stylus.

If it's a really big part, just put tape around where the lines will go.

The tape also makes cutting out the part easier. Then after the part is cut, just peel the tape off.

Kate

Thanks to the both of your. I appreciate the replies. I will give it a whirl.

I use silver ink pens for drawing out patterns and stitch lines on my leatherwork. I purchased mine from Fisher Space Pen Company.

Hope this helps.

www.spacepen.com

Randy

Try this : make your pattern on paper ,use a overstitch wheel to perforate the paper along your pattern lines ,next get some cheese cloth and fill it with some baby powder tie off and just tamp it on your paper ,lift off the paper and your pattern is there . Simple as that . Powder wipes off with damp cloth . This works well for stitching patterns . Let me know what you think of this method . bluesman1951

Thanks to the both of your. I appreciate the replies. I will give it a whirl.

Great idea bluesman1951!

I just trace my patterns onto clear sheet protectors. Then I use a ball ended stylus (or dead ball point pen) to re-trace the pattern onto the leather.