azrider

Question For The Seat Makers

So I made a seat for a sport bike. I used the same type of method as I used for a cruiser seat. Tooled cover, centered, riveted around the edges while wet forming. With a cruiser, this works fine because the weight of the rider pushes the leather down and back when the seat is being used. With this sport bike however, the pegs are behind the seating surface, so the rider is actually leaning forward, and squeezing with his thighs when riding. Because the leather was only fastened to the pan along the outside, the leather stretched and when combined with sweat made a ridge right up the middle of the seat. I fixed this once without really thinking about what caused it. A few months later it happened again. I want to fix it permanently this time.

My thought is to strip the leather cover, and carve a new one. This time, glue it directly to the foam with 3m spray. Once the glue dries, wet the leather and shape it over the edges and rivet in place. I think the glue on the foam will keep the leather in place when the rider is leaning forward and squeezing the seat with his legs. Is there anything else I can do to keep this cover in place? I am concerned that the seat will deform for a third time. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

From the other threads on here, it sounds like 3M spray will work to glue the leather down. Should I consider making some type of flap that I could sew to the leather on the underside, leaving a stitch line visible on the seating surface, and then attach that flap to the pan?

This rider did about 15k on his sport bike last year, so he rides quite a bit. Any tips on fixing this seat the right way would be appreciated.

We upholster mostly in vinyl but the stretch should be comparable. Vinyl stretches like crazy when heated so hot summer sun on motorcycle seats cause issues. We conquer the vinyl stretch by gluing directly to the foam.