VRSDesigns

Advice For A Beginner!

Hi All

I'm new to leather working and I am having a slight problem when cutting. I am noticing that one of the corners is a mm or so out when cutting.

I have tried using a fiskars rotary cutter with a steel ruler. On one of them green self healing cutting mats.

Could I be using the wrong tools and surface to cut on?

I would appreciate and advice and guidance anyone can share with me!

Thanks

Leather is a flexible material, especially with thinner weights it will never be exactly down to the mm so I wouldn't say you're using the wrong tools. I always have at least a mm in allowance on all sides for smaller projects. After gluing together I cut away larger excess and then sew everything, after that I sandpaper the edges and start the finishing process, by then the mm difference will be gone.

Hi yes glue it first then cut or try just cutting from each side to the middle

To stop it streching

All so a thin layer of cork on the underside of your ruler to stop it slipping

Hope it work

Walletman

Thank you ConradPark & WalletMan for you're replies, greatly appreciated.

The Leather I'm using is very thin, I don't know the right term for it but I think it's pre treated. No colouring or wax finished required.

I do think I'm trying to be perfect with it, with no margin of error. Fault of my previous job were everything had to be perfect with no margin for error.

On the tool side I've brought a straight blade knife just this morning, as I think all the safety features on rotary blade might be getting in the way.

I will implement the suggestions you have both made for which I'm thankful allowing me too get over this slight stumble.

Cheers

Edited by VRSDesigns

It's probably just practice. I know it took me a while to get to where I was cutting everything true and square.

I would think 1mm is not a huge difference to be concerned with. The leather will differ in size while working with it in regards to moisture content, tooling, pulling, stretching while assembling a project, ect.

Think about it this way...

1 mm difference from one side to the other is only 1/2mm off on each side.

Don't be to hung up on small things, you may begin to dislike the craft searching for perfection. Make your item to the best of your ability and see what others enjoy.