logem

Backing/Liner for a Bronc Halter?

All,

I am really new to leather working. I've made and stamped about 12 knife sheathes, and am very pleased how they have turned out. I'm progressing to more detailed stamping and dying techniques.

This time, I have almost got myself over my head though. I am making a tooled bronc halter for a friend's daughter as a surprise. I am highly impressed by how well it has turned out so far, thank you Al Stolhman and your "Craft Tips" book.

Anyway, I've made this bronc halter with 7/8 oz. leather. It will have a couple of rivits in it for decoration. I feel that it my need to be thicker for practical use, and also may need to be lined/backed in order to keep the rivits off of the horse's nose.

I am thinking of contact cementing a layer of oil tanned buckskin onto the back of the tooled and finished veg tanned halter. Is this a bad idea? I thought that I would seal front and back when complete.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Mike L.

Edited by logem

All,

I am really new to leather working. I've made and stamped about 12 knife sheathes, and am very pleased how they have turned out. I'm progressing to more detailed stamping and dying techniques.

This time, I have almost got myself over my head though. I am making a tooled bronc halter for a friend's daughter as a surprise. I am highly impressed by how well it has turned out so far, thank you Al Stolhman and your "Craft Tips" book.

Anyway, I've made this bronc halter with 7/8 oz. leather. It will have a couple of rivits in it for decoration. I feel that it my need to be thicker for practical use, and also may need to be lined/backed in order to keep the rivits off of the horse's nose.

I am thinking of contact cementing a layer of oil tanned buckskin onto the back of the tooled and finished veg tanned halter. Is this a bad idea? I thought that I would seal front and back when complete.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Mike L.

If it were me I would make the whole thing double thickness and sew it all....sewing is the right way. It could also be lined with 7/8 oz latigo.

Bob

My vote would be to glue then sew the latigo to it....it will withstand sweat mo betta.

I've made several bronc halters as awards, and some for my kids personal use. I always use a 4-5 oz. chap leather as a liner. That way it covers the ends of any bling spots and it provides a sweat picker-upper too. Just my 2 cents.

I rode broncs for quite a few years, and have seen the beating a halter can take in regular use. If you are using 8-9oz tooling leather on top, then I would recommend the 8-9oz latigo liner, at least for the bottom center piece (between the jaws) and the throatlatch and buckle parts- you don't want it to break the first time a pick-up man dallies up to a big bronc and starts dragging him towards the stripping chute! I like the chap leather idea, but would probably use 12oz or so for the tooling parts if I was using that for a liner,

Chuck

I've made several bronc halters as awards, and some for my kids personal use. I always use a 4-5 oz. chap leather as a liner. That way it covers the ends of any bling spots and it provides a sweat picker-upper too. Just my 2 cents.

Is this actually going to be used as a bronc halter? Or is it just for a regular horse but with the wide noseband that is popular right now? I make alot of mule halters with the wide noseband and I line with latigo. I would use 7-8 oz. latigo and stitch it on. It will add some stiffness and it burnishes better than chap leather. Chris

Is this actually going to be used as a bronc halter? Or is it just for a regular horse but with the wide noseband that is popular right now? I make alot of mule halters with the wide noseband and I line with latigo. I would use 7-8 oz. latigo and stitch it on. It will add some stiffness and it burnishes better than chap leather. Chris

First, it sounds like I should thicken it up considerably. I'll get some latigo and glue and stitch it to the back.

This is one of those wide noseband halters that will be given to a young girl who is just getting into riding and barrel racing. She's only about 8 years old, and if it gets used, it will be for a regular horse.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Mike L.

Edited by logem

First, it sounds like I should thicken it up considerably. I'll get some latigo and glue and stitch it to the back.

This is one of those wide noseband halters that will be given to a young girl who is just getting into riding and barrel racing. She's only about 8 years old, and if it gets used, it will be for a regular horse.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Mike L.

Mike I had assumed it wouldn't be used for anything rough. Bronc halters are popular right now. Doubling it would definitely be the right thing to do. 7/8 oz just isn't heavy enough by itself. Even the Show Halters I make are 16 oz or heavier. You're on the right track!

Bob

One last question:

Would there be anything wrong with me using a second piece of the 7/8 oz. veg. tan tooling leather as the backing, rather than purchasing some latigo?

I could stain it, seal it, and use neatsfoot oil on it.

Thanks again,

Mike L.

One last question:

Would there be anything wrong with me using a second piece of the 7/8 oz. veg. tan tooling leather as the backing, rather than purchasing some latigo?

I could stain it, seal it, and use neatsfoot oil on it.

Thanks again,

Mike L.

Absolutely not! In fact, that was what I meant by doubling it. I think you'll really be happy with it when you're done.

Have some fun with it!

Bob