esantoro

Black Heat Treated Safety Skiver

Instead of getting the Scharf-fix 2000, I got three more Safety Skivers and am saving up for Artisan's 20" splitter.

If you're getting the safety skiver, make sure you get the one that uses the black heat-treated metal. I had a non-heat treated silver one from Osborne that bent on me recently.

Ed

Edited by esantoro

Ed,

I may be really off-base here, but I thought they were designed so they could bent. At least among saddlemakers there are two fraternities. There are those who use heel shaves with resharpenable blades in the different number designations (shape of the curve) for shaping ground seats. Across the street are those of us who were taught to use the black skivers ("potato peelers") with replaceable razor blades and have a few - each bent to different curves to do the shape needed at hand. I just bent mine with a pair of pliers or shaped over the horn of my anvil. The only issue I have had with the potato peelers was one. I saw a Bruce Cheaney video, and he just knocked the skiver against the edge of the bench to pop out the old blade for replacement. It looked cool, and I did it for a couple years. Last year I did it, and the perfect set of circumstances came out. I popped it out, it ricocheted off the edge of a bench stamping stone, the underside of the bill of my cap, and ended up inside my glasses, right up next to my right eyeball. I have gone back to just pushing the blade out with a screwdriver again.

I crimp the blade into the skiver and sharpen it with a buffing wheel. The blades will last for months instead of hours. Replacing the blade is more difficult.... you have to open up the crimp to get the blade out.

Keith

Ed,

I may be really off-base here, but I thought they were designed so they could bent. At least among saddlemakers there are two fraternities. There are those who use heel shaves with resharpenable blades in the different number designations (shape of the curve) for shaping ground seats. Across the street are those of us who were taught to use the black skivers ("potato peelers") with replaceable razor blades and have a few - each bent to different curves to do the shape needed at hand. I just bent mine with a pair of pliers or shaped over the horn of my anvil. The only issue I have had with the potato peelers was one. I saw a Bruce Cheaney video, and he just knocked the skiver against the edge of the bench to pop out the old blade for replacement. It looked cool, and I did it for a couple years. Last year I did it, and the perfect set of circumstances came out. I popped it out, it ricocheted off the edge of a bench stamping stone, the underside of the bill of my cap, and ended up inside my glasses, right up next to my right eyeball. I have gone back to just pushing the blade out with a screwdriver again.

Wow...that would scare the bujeezus outta me....