Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

good tool for scuffing up leather prior to gluing?

I hate to place an order with a leathercraft shop for just one item.

Is there a good tool for scuffing up leather prior to gluing that I can readily get at most hardware stores?

Thanks,

ed

Ed have you tried a very coarse sandpaper. it has worked for me. :thumbsup:

A stiff wire bristle brush also works well. I prefer the ones with the stainless steel bristles. You can find them with the welding supplies, and occasionally in the paint centers.

Marc

Not long ago I posted the make and a picture of what your talking about. A custom saddle making friend turnd me on to it, youll not need sand paper again. Quick search should turn it up.

i got a wire brush from a paint store. works well for $3. I think I'll head to sears this weekend for the tool Romey wrote about.

thanks,

Ed

Try an old cheese grater. Works on my knuckles.

LOL, all good answers... I just did this myself for a project I am working on... i cannot see paying $30+ for a leather rougher... I use my slanted 4 prong lace chisel/punch. it roughs up the leather nice and I get a good surface that bonds nicely....

A drywall tool that looks like a palm held grater to trim edges of the cut drywall. cost about 5 bucks might work

Well about 3 years ago or so, i was feeling fat and bought a real leather roughner for about $30 - after using near all manner of what is described above.

The roughner is superior to all of the devices listed, hands down - its simply the right tool for the job - you still need to be careful with it, but it is a good design

- i used a wire bristle brush and it damn near killed the material i was working on - it was so aggressive -it damn near jumped out of my hands,

sandpaper was ok, but still not right,

garnet paper worked best when glued to a board and slowly worked over the material - but it was a PITA.

just buy the roughner, if you do a moducum of gluing- youll use it often, i know i do

but as always - YMMV

steveb

You might want to give my ex a call and ask her if you can rub it on her legs :head_hurts_kr:

Thats funny stuff! I'm feelin you brother